What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best Small Spa?  (Read 8768 times)

SpaGal45

Best Small Spa?
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »
Hello!

I am in Portland, OR, and am starting my search for a small (2, or possibly 3 person) spa to fit in my small backyard without taking over the entire space. I'm not interested in light shows or even a million jets—mostly I want an energy efficient (I'm guessing this means fully foamed in spa speak) model that allows me to lounge (though a sitting option isn't out of the question either) in hot water in peace and quiet. 99% of the time it will just be me in there, probably enjoying daily soaks of 20-30 minutes, with occasional use by my husband. But I don't plan on having any hot tub parties.  :)

My most important desire is having it be as chemical-free as possible. I've read about ozone, silver nitrate and salt water options, and have so far visited one dealer in my area (a Hot Springs dealer) but am feeling confused by all the information that's put out there by dealers.

I am leaning toward purchasing from a dealer for the customer service, but would really like to get this done affordably (and energy efficiently) as well.

Any make/model suggestions, dealers in the Portland, OR area and other advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers folks.

Hot Tub Forum

Best Small Spa?
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Best Small Spa?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »
Check out the marquis spirit.  That should meet all your requirements and it's made in Oregon

SpaGal45

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:28:56 pm »
Thanks much…I'll look into it. Are you a Marquis owner or dealer? Can you tell me what you like about this spa? Thanks again.

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:16:55 pm »
I am / was in much the same situation looking for a smaller hot tub about a year ago.  I ended up buying an older used Hot Spring Jetsetter  which is a few inches smaller than the current style Jetsetter.  Hot Spring advertises the Jetsetter as a 3 person tub, I am a 6 ft tall 225 pound man, and  sometimes feel it can be a little cramped for one person, although I think the newer 2008+ style probably adds just enough elbow room,  to remove that complaint, having said that I am still happy with my purchase as the tub was in great shape and the price was right.  2 people can fit in a Jetsetter, but they had better be friendly, and the only way I could imagine 3 people would be if they were small people and one was a kid.  Having said all that if I knew then what I know now, I would have probably bought a bigger tub even though it is just me in it most of the timeto get a better variety of seating positions / jet combinations.  I have lower back and shoulder problems (broke my back 4 years ago, compression fracture of L2) and like to rotate through seating positions depending on what hurts and how it hurts.  For example I will often start with the spinner jets until my back muscles start to loosen up then move to the moto massage lounger then soak for a bit in the upright corner seat with the 7 jet and upper back spinner. 

Also keep in mind when shopping it is not just about the rated number of people the tub will hold, but also the gallons, my Jetsetter is a 210 gallon tub (new style ones are 225) and is rated as a 3 person tub, the next "larger" tub Hot Spring sells is the 5 person 325 Gallon Prodigy, then the 6 person 350 gallon Soveriegn,  Now fitting 5 people in a Prodigy or 6 people in a Soveriegn is probably about as insane as trying to fit 3 people in my Jetsetter, but it is what it is.  On the other end of the scale Hot Spring sells a model called the Envoy which is also rated at a 5 person tub, but has a whopping 450 gallon water capacity, so 125 more gallons of water than the 5 person rated Prodigy, which itself is only 100 gallons more than the 3 person rated Jetsetter.

Also remember more jets are not always better,  much like more cup holders are not always better in a car, there is more to it than that.  For example what size is the jet pump, which would you rather have 22 jets powered by a 1 HP jet pump of 12 powered by a 1.5 HP, the second would give you a pump that is 1/3 larger flowing into about half as many jets, which could be a good thing if you like intense massage action, particulalry on a design that allows you to turn on and off jets as needed and vary their intensity.  Jet placement and type is also important particularly if you are looking for a hydrotherapy tub.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:27:49 pm by Isaac-1 »

SpaGal45

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 02:24:19 pm »
Thanks. The Jetsetter is the one model I've looked at so far, and it looks great, but the 8k+ price tag was a bit of a shock. I am really hoping to do this for under 5k if possible. But the gallon info is very useful. Thank you!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »
 Take a look at the Jacuzzi J-315 or the Bullfrog R5 might work for you.

SpaGal45

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:03:07 pm »
That's very helpful…thanks!

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:53 pm »
SpaGal,

I just sent you a PM.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 08:56:01 pm »
Marquis, D1, Beachcomber, Hot Springs, whats in your area? Feel out the dealers, kick some tires.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
Thanks much…I'll look into it. Are you a Marquis owner or dealer? Can you tell me what you like about this spa? Thanks again.

Both. I sell marquis but also own a marquis reward. It's very well made, get very few warranty claims and has very good power and jet action.  Price might be a little higher then your looking to spend so I suggest you check out the marquis E-322 or e-435. Those tubs are from their mid line series and are also very nice but come at a smaller price tag just not with some of the fancy bells and whistles. Good luck in your search

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:17:25 am »
SpaGal: I work at the Marquis Spas Company Store in Beaverton. Let me know if you want to take a look at the spas and I can get you a great deal if you find one that you like.

Isaac-1

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:52:29 am »
8K is a bit high for a jetsetter in most markets, when I went into the local Hot Spring dealer a few months ago to get a service part for mine (diverter valve repair kit, which they did not have in stock)  they tried to sell me a new  Jetsetter for about $5,800 with cover, lifter and steps, I am not sure if that included delivery, as I was not that interested.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 09:17:11 am »
8K is a bit high for a jetsetter in most markets, when I went into the local Hot Spring dealer a few months ago to get a service part for mine (diverter valve repair kit, which they did not have in stock)  they tried to sell me a new  Jetsetter for about $5,800 with cover, lifter and steps, I am not sure if that included delivery, as I was not that interested.

8k is a little expensive for that tub but 5800 is crazy low. In my area in the northeast they are sold for around 7500

Isaac-1

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 12:00:29 pm »
I know they were having their spring open house event sale the weekend when that price was offered with things like free hot dogs and lemonade, baloons for the kids, etc going on.  So it was probably lower than their usual asking price.

p.s. thinking about it the price may have been $5895, I know it started with 58??
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:03:23 pm by Isaac-1 »

SpaGal45

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 03:50:01 pm »
Thanks all. I spoke with the HS dealer, and mentioned $5800, and there was no way he was going for that.  ;)

But after much back and forth, I'm seriously considering the Jetsetter with the ACE salt for $7495 + a $300 rebate. From what I've seen on this forum, that's a pretty good price. And I'm still doing research about the ACE salt system, but the 5 year parts/labor warranty does a lot to ease my mind. Not to mention that they will remove the salt system and revert to ozone if I don't like the salt. I'm still considering Jacuzzi and Marquis models as well, but need to go and wet test all of the models to be sure.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 03:50:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42