What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Two Person COMPLETELY quiet hot tub recommendation?  (Read 8326 times)

Mongcon

Two Person COMPLETELY quiet hot tub recommendation?
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:50 pm »
We sleep outside on a covered deck about 250 days of the year (not bad for Montana).  We'd love to put a small two person tub on the deck next to the bed. While we have become accustomed to bugling elk, chuffing deer and the train in the distance (all night sounds we have no control over) we'd rather not install a tub that we can hear running all night or cycling on and off.  We found one tub that looked great and thought we could just put the outlet on a timer, but the store says it's a bad idea to essentially, turn the thing on and off regularly.

Any suggestions on models, makes that are particularly quiet?  We would like to have the option of jets.

Hot Tub Forum

Two Person COMPLETELY quiet hot tub recommendation?
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:50 pm »

kporter

Re: Two Person COMPLETELY quiet hot tub recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:19 pm »
Check out hot tubs with circulation pumps. They maintain heat and filtration 24 /7 silently.  Hotsprings Jetsetter is a sweet little hot tub. Also the Caldera Kauai is another great option.

Porter

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:13 pm »
Check out hot tubs with circulation pumps. They maintain heat and filtration 24 /7 silently.  Hotsprings Jetsetter is a sweet little hot tub. Also the Caldera Kauai is another great option.

Porter

Ditto on circ pump (a 100% must for any quiet operation) and no the model options mentioned.

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
I have an older (1998) jetsetter and with just the circulation pump running it is very quiet / almost silent (much quiter than a refrigerator for a comparison).  Now when it is in use and the jet pump is running that is a different matter.  The newer  model year jetsetters have "summer mode" option which turns off the circulation pump for 8 hours, then runs for the next 16, the only problem with this is if the power goes out I think the timer starts over again so it can get out of sync.  This is becase the friction heat loss from the circulation pump can add a little heat to the hot tub and might overheat it in hot summer weather if the tub is exposed to the sun, etc..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:37:56 pm by Isaac-1 »

Topline Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:11:11 am »
I think what you are asking for does not exist.  A pump has to run to circulate water.  Pumps make noise. 

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:03:24 am »
I think what you are asking for does not exist.  A pump has to run to circulate water.  Pumps make noise.

If you're using the main pump for filering then I agree but 24/7 circ pumps are extremely quiet (depending on the type). He'll be able to evaluate that in the showroom.

Topline Mike

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:16:07 am »
extremely and completely are not one in the same. :D

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:54 am »

I agree with Mike. Circ. pumps are quiet, but you can definitely still hear them. We have our hot tub on a roof deck, which is literally on top of our bedroom. When the circ. pump is on, it can be heard and is a distraction when you are trying to sleep. Part of that may be from the vibration on the roof, but it is still a distraction. Not sure how that would translate if the tub was beside you and not on top of you.

There may however, be a simple solution to your problem. What we did is to program our circ. pump to run during the day. We have our circ. pump set so it operates 8 hours per day, during the day. This way it does not bother us when we are sleeping. The only time the circ. pump runs outside this time frame is when the heater comes on, but that does not happen very often. Our tub is fairly new, so I'm not sure what it will be like in the winter. I am assuming the heater will come on more frequently, thus triggering the circ. pump, I'm just not sure how frequently it will be on when it is winter.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »

I agree with Mike. Circ. pumps are quiet, but you can definitely still hear them. We have our hot tub on a roof deck, which is literally on top of our bedroom. When the circ. pump is on, it can be heard and is a distraction when you are trying to sleep. Part of that may be from the vibration on the roof, but it is still a distraction. Not sure how that would translate if the tub was beside you and not on top of you.

There may however, be a simple solution to your problem. What we did is to program our circ. pump to run during the day. We have our circ. pump set so it operates 8 hours per day, during the day. This way it does not bother us when we are sleeping. The only time the circ. pump runs outside this time frame is when the heater comes on, but that does not happen very often. Our tub is fairly new, so I'm not sure what it will be like in the winter. I am assuming the heater will come on more frequently, thus triggering the circ. pump, I'm just not sure how frequently it will be on when it is winter.

Good point about the deck because that does amplify any sound so while the circ pump can be whisper quiet its not always as quiet on a wooden deck. If the spa has an adjustable timer like the Hot Spring Summer Timer setting then you can indeed program it to run something like 8 hrs per day during non sleep times..

Quickbeam

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »

Good point about the deck because that does amplify any sound so while the circ pump can be whisper quiet its not always as quiet on a wooden deck. If the spa has an adjustable timer like the Hot Spring Summer Timer setting then you can indeed program it to run something like 8 hrs per day during non sleep times..

Our tub is a Jacuzzi J-345. The factory default setting is to have the circ. pump run for eight hours. If you want to change the start time, you just trip the breaker. When you start it back up, the circ. pump runs for eight hours from when you re-engage the power. If there is a power outage in the middle of the night, and then the power comes back on, your circ. pump will start running and will continue for eight hours (this happened to us once). And as I mentioned earlier, the circ. pump also comes on whenever the heater comes on. Note also that you don't have to have the circ. pump run for eight hours straight. There are a number of different options you can program in for how the circ. pump runs.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »
The only completely quiet tub is one that isn't running so that has to be what to look for. Whether the tub turns off the circ pump or only filters during the hours that you aren't sleeping AND won't turn anything on until its time to clean the tub is what you're looking for.

I would start looking there for the brands that are available to you.

Chartreux

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »
Jacuzzi makes bath tubs that are unique...is it a bath tub your looking for??? or a hot tub/spa???

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42