What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New tub, first fill  (Read 2366 times)

Lionheart_CHP

New tub, first fill
« on: September 11, 2014, 12:17:58 pm »
After a long wait, mostly due to our construction project, our new tub will be here as early as tomorrow!  I've been reading here for months about water chemistry as I'm a first time owner.  There seems to be a large contingent recommending the chlorine then bleach method, but my dealer sends to lean to bromine.  Can someone give me the cheap 30 second tour of pros/cons?

Thanks guys. 

Hot Tub Forum

New tub, first fill
« on: September 11, 2014, 12:17:58 pm »

Lionheart_CHP

Re: New tub, first fill
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »
Guess I should add that we have UV, no ozone.

Topline Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:40:15 am »
I'll give you my 2 cents.  I used bromine on my first ever fill, and the water lasted 60 days with heavy use.  I had no problems with bromine, except that my water turned a greenish color toward the end, and all levels you check with a test kit were good.  On my second fill, I went with the dichlor then bleach method.  I'm on 100 days or so right now, and the water is still sparkly clean.  I know our use is way down from when we first got the tub, but it seems like this method keeps the water cleaner.  No floater in the tub with the bromine tabs, and a very cheap way to sanitize your tub.  I am a dichlor then bleach fan. 

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01:14 am »
Thanks Mike. Thats what I'm leaning.  Still, I'd like to understand what pros/cons bromine has if the dealer pushes me toward it.

Tub gets delivered this morning, but electric is not quite ready yet. 

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:13 am »
So, here's what I got with the tub.  Nature 2 mineral stick, On Guard Scotch Plus non-chlorine shock, Diamond Sani-Spa dichlor, test strips.

Dealer said replace nature 2 every four months. Add 1 tbsp dichlor once a month and add half cap of shock after each use.

Sound reasonable?

Waiting until electric gets hooked up before filling.  Hopefully Monday.

kporter

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:16:33 am »
I am going to be very curious to see how that water is going to stay clear with a tbl spoon of dichlor once a month with a non chl based shock....

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:46:51 am »
Well, I filled it yesterday thinking it would get hooked up today while I was at work.  I wanted them to be able to turn it on if needed.  Turns out, no hook up until Thursday.  Any problem with that water sitting there static for a few days? I have not put any chemicals in yet.

kporter

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:11:05 pm »
Nah, if it is cold water. Once it is up and running I would give it a good chlorine based shock while it is heating and filtering before your first use. You will be good.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:11:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42