What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Build a base to protect tile from damage?  (Read 5216 times)

kellsinferno

Build a base to protect tile from damage?
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:23:36 pm »
Hello,
Our new hot tub is being delivered later this week.  We are placing it on a tiled patio (tiles are almost 16" X 16").  I have been a bit concerned that we should put something down to protect the tiles from breaking? 

Hot Tub Forum

Build a base to protect tile from damage?
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:23:36 pm »

clovett

Re: Build a base to protect tile from damage?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:39 pm »
I doubt you can but if it can be done a solid rubber mat the size of the hot tub might.  The tiles in the center of the tub are gonna take the brunt.  Also it depends on how your sub floor is constructed.  If it allows for any flex one day you will just hear/feel them snap.   :-[

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:38:30 pm »
If the tile was laid properly it shouldn't be a problem. you can check by tapping all around each tile the spa will sit on, listening for hollow spots. Any hollow sounds will indicate voids under the tile, and potential break points. You might lay 1-1/8" plywood under the spa to spread out the weight a bit....though I would be concerned it might rot over a long period of time.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Topline Mike

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:17 am »
I doubt you can but if it can be done a solid rubber mat the size of the hot tub might.  The tiles in the center of the tub are gonna take the brunt.  Also it depends on how your sub floor is constructed.  If it allows for any flex one day you will just hear/feel them snap.   :-[

Why are the tiles in the center going to take the brunt?  I think hot tubs are built to distribute their weight evenly. 

The original poster said tiles on a patio, right?  Not on a deck.  I would think the carpenter laid these tiles on a concrete pad or something similar.  I would be more concerned of the slope of the patio.  Lay a 4' level down on the tiles and see how much pitch there is. 

clovett

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
I've seen similar explanations on other sites.  This has a night picture of the weight distribution.  Since they can put a tub on scales and check and since I've seen similar diagrams I accept that this is correct.  That and the deep part of the tub logically carries the most weight.  The majority of the water is in the center of the tub.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:26:12 pm by Forum Admin »

Chartreux

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
What if a spa pad was used over the tile and under the tub...would that help from cracking tiles???...

Mikes145

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:05:33 pm »
Maybe lay some deck cap down, http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/productLine.do?groupId=1&lineId=222&productTypeId=4, then slide the tub onto it?  Menards sells this product.  You could secure the edges with a border of the decking and some concrete screws.

kellsinferno

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:12:44 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

We ended up going with treated plywood underneath the tub.  So far so good!

Doesn't look pretty right now but I think once I have time next week I will paint it.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 07:11:41 am »
How about sharing a photo of the finished product. We do like to see others' play spaces.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 07:11:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42