What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water cloudy after party  (Read 4216 times)

Mikes145

Water cloudy after party
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »
So, we had a birthday party for our 12 yr. old daughter and let her have some friends in.  Well, that turned into more kids throughout the day then we wanted, including a few around 6 or 7 years old.  We were watching all in the tub so don't worry.  I opened the tub the next day and it was very cloudy.  I added some shock and we went on vacation for a week.  Today, upon returning, the water is still very cloudy and now has some scum around the tub.  I shocked it again and rinsed the filters with water.  I use Oxy-Spa non chlorine shock and Dichlor sanitizing granules.  Am I better off refilling the tub or will this eventually get better?  It's a new tub and only been filled for about 2 weeks.  My wife thinks the little kids pee'd in the tub.  Would this cause this or was it just overloaded?  P.S. I'll never let the little ones in again.

Hot Tub Forum

Water cloudy after party
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »

Budule

Re: Water cloudy after party
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:16 pm »
mine was a little cloudy and my guy gave me something called "enzyme" ....he said it would "bring everything up".....boy did it , I had a 1 inch line of crud all the way around the top , wiped it up and all was well.....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:11:11 am »
Leaving the tub cloudy and going away is an invitation for possible bacteria contamination. I personally would shock the tub - think ounces of bleach - to get a least 50 ppm of chlorine (maybe more) and let the pumps run for at least an hour total; also make sure you use the diverters, air and whatever water features you have to have the chlorinated water run through them. Drain, clean the filters - always good to have 2 sets - and refill. I might also think about getting some Ahh-some for your next drain/refill to really clean the tub.

As for peeing - could have happened ... my sons were the only ones who would come out of the pool and hot tub to go to the bathroom ... we noticed that none of the friends ever went!

Mikes145

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:28:30 am »
I'll just drain it then.  How much bleach would you add for 400 gallons? 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:45 am »
I would just dump the water and start over. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:21 am »
According to http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, you would need to add 30 ounces of 8.25% chlorox bleach to raise your Free Chlorine level to 50. 

The word on the street is that ahh-some is the product to buy for super cleaning your tub.  Works great for new tubs also as there is a lot of 'stuff' in the pipes after the building process. 

Saying "never again" to the little kids is a bit overboard, in my opinion.  If you would have sanitized the tub properly after they used it, you wouldn't have any problems.  They don't drain and refill a public pool every day, do they? 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »
If your tubs been fine to this point yes draining is required. But a flush of the pipes may not be necessary. Super chlorinate, drain, start again, no worry's. You could make people shower all the gunk (makeup,soap,hair products,body lotions, body oils, laundry soap in the suits,others) But it will still take some TLC after a party. Only you control how people use your tub. But you don't want to be a spa nazi. Or maybe you do? Plan your party's around water changes? There's lots of little tricks. I like fresh water so if it's within a month or so of normal drain, party on, drain extra. You bought the tub to enjoy, enjoy.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42