What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: House electrical question  (Read 3087 times)

bwspa

House electrical question
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:31 pm »
Ok, my thoughts of a tub seem to be hitting roadblocks.  I lookd at the breaker box and see it's 100A service and has only 24 breaker positions...all but one filled.

What does this mean? Do I need to replace the whole panel?  Add a sub-panel?  Is 100A service too little?  Does it need increased to 200A incoming service before adding a sub-panel or changing the main panel to one with more circuits?

Hot Tub Forum

House electrical question
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:31 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: House electrical question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:59:57 pm »
A sub panel may be enough but an electrician will be able to better answer this question. A total 200 amp upgrade may also be required. But this again would be a question for an electrician.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »
Additionally, you may have full size breakers, that could be replaced with wafer breakers (1/2 the size)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clovett

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:04 pm »
How many amps does your tub require?

Nazz26

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:49:02 am »
I was in the same position last year before I had my tub installed.  I live in a 2400 square foot house that was built in 2001 with only a 100amp service and all but 1 slot in the breaker box was vacant. I do have central A/C (50amp), pool pump and two children that consume much electricity(computers, iPads, video games and leaving just about every light on). I also have every modern appliance that a house has nowadays. The house also has natural gas as a utility which supplies my boiler, stove and dryer. The electrician that did the install of the tub said you will be fine.  He installed a couple of tandem breakers to free up some space in my breaker box and for almost a year now with everything running never once tripped any of the breakers including the main 100 amp breaker.  Like all others have said have a professional electrician see and evaluate your situation..I would get more then one professional opinion.  I had 4 estimates on my job and one said to upgrade to 200amp and the others said you will be fine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:49:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42