What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2006ish Hot Springs Envoy Leak  (Read 3577 times)

dfletcher9527

2006ish Hot Springs Envoy Leak
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:49 am »
Hey folks.  I'm a newb and have searched for answers but so far they have eluded me, so here goes...

I have a leak, I'm a "frugal" (aka: cheap) guy who is willing to DIY, but I've never attempted a hot tub repair, so I need a little direction...

I've read that I should fill the tub and observe the water level where it stops leaking.  It's immediately below one particular jet.  Does that mean it's likely that this jet would be the source of the leak somehow?  It happens to be the lowest jet on any of the seats (though there are foot jets and all of the water holds fine in the foot area.

I am certain that nothing is leaking in the easily accessible compartment where the heater and pump are located, it's bone dry.  Visibly, I see water coming from under the front corners of the hot tub, but again NOT from the compartment - several inches to the left and to the right.  The suspect jet is in the back right corner, so it could just be the way the water is running off when it hits the slab underneath.

I'm just not clear on whether the water level thing is a sure fire indicator of where my problem is or not (though it makes sense that something either immediately behind that jet, or in the hose that feeds it would be the problem).

So assuming that's the source, what should my plan of attack be?  Do I set it on jacks and start cutting out foam?  Or is there a possibility that there could be an easier less intrusive solution?  I should mention, the suspect jet is a directional jet, which I've discovered is missing the directional component (gonna have to ask the kids how that happened , and where the missing parts are) but that wouldn't cause it to leak right?

Are there any other tests I should conduct before I start cutting?  Should I run water from my garden hose into that jet?  And do you suggest I jack it up or put it on its side?

The spa store where I bought it guessed that I'd have a $1500-$2000 repair bill if they handle it (they have to send a crew out, pick it up, and bring it back to their shop, do the work, etc) - I just can't stomach that cost.

I sincerely appreciate any help that any f you might be able to offer!

Hot Tub Forum

2006ish Hot Springs Envoy Leak
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:49 am »

clovett

Re: 2006ish Hot Springs Envoy Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:08 am »
Once you find the "suspect" jet do this to make sure.  Food dye is what you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgrvM7DBgTQ

dfletcher9527

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:36:00 pm »
Ok, I've confirmed it is the suspected jet. So now on to the repair. Where do i start?  Anything I can do from inside or is it time to start digging foam?

Kev B

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:36:00 pm »
The food dye idea is a good one but most of the time it does not turn out to be that easy. Hot springs tubs are not easy to get into because the sides are not removable by panels and they are fully foamed with very hard foam.
 If your fairly certain as to where it leveled off, you can take the siding off that jet seat area and dig in below all the jets and feel for moisture, if no moisture move on.
 Worst case scenario is actually lifting the tub, filling it, remove the plastic bottom (If it has it) and finding the dripping area from underneath which I do not recommend a newbie to try. Also, check the light really well, I have found many issues with the water dribbling from the lens down the side of the tub body and it was an easy fix.

dfletcher9527

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:09:25 am »
I'm not seeing any obvious way to get the siding off.  Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help!

dfletcher9527

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »
Bumping this back up in hopes that someone can point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks all!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »
I'm not seeing any obvious way to get the siding off.  Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help!

The siding will need to be pried off and when done you'll probably have to buy a few new pieces to replace it. Once the siding if off enough to get at it just start digging. You should be able to follow the wet foam and you already think you know which jet it is so it should be straight forward.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

dfletcher9527

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »
Thanks!  So if i understand you correctly, i may not need to work from underneath then?  I can just work from the side?   

Is the siding easy to find? 

And how about replacing the foam?   I understand is r20 insulation. Do i by that from hot springs?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to mess this thing up.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42