What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dead hto tub  (Read 2036 times)

jpc

dead hto tub
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »
I have a 13 year old Sunbelt hot tub.  it has a Gecko controller.  I have replaced the main circuit board a few years back.  I recently  replaced main pump and blower.  all was good.  I then drain and cleaned tub.  It had been sitting empty for a few weeks.  Once refilled all seemed fine, when I checked next morning all was dead, nothing running, and no display on topside.

Circuit is fine, I am getting correct votalge across terminals, 120V from each hot to ground, and 240 across two hot terminals.  All fuses are good, tested voltage across both ends.  I pulled out board, but nothing obvious (when repalced board in the past, there were burn marks in proximity of relays).  All capacitors look okay, nothing swollen or leaking.  The transformer has 2 primary lead and 3 secondary (yellow, green, red).  I measured resistance across primary, showed 56 OHMs, and from yellow to both green and orange, resistance was something like .6 and 1.5, I don't remember exact number, but close, going by memory, not always reliable.  I pulled transformer plug and test voltage from post that feeds the white and black wires, got 120v to ground, 240 to hot line in.

So I am trying to determine if my board is bad, or possibly the transformer or topside controller.  So I have a few fquestions:

Should the tub run with topside disconnected?  If not how can I determine it is bad?  Is there a way to jubp leads somehow to turn on tub?

Is there a way to further test the transformer?

Any help is appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

dead hto tub
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »

Kev B

Re: dead hto tub
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:32:26 pm »
System should run and get to 100 without a topside. It sounds like a board to me ...I have only needed to replace a couple of transformers in all the years I have been doing this, but anything is possible.

jpc

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:26:06 am »
Thanks Kev B.  I kind of figured as much, since I was getting nothing at all when switching on the breaker, but I was not positive.  I thinking of ordering a whole new digital controller kit, since the board alone is going to cost me around $350, and I have a 13 year old system: topside, heater, transformer, ozonator.

I was hestitant to commit the $500, but I guess I will have to bite the bullet.

Kev B

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:49 pm »
 Sorry about the problems, check out the Balboa v-series controller. They are my favorite and have different size topsides to match the one you have. Make sure you match the right pack for your specific needs...circ pump, boosters, one speed, two speed  4.0kw or 5.0 kw heater etc

Stay away from United Control systems even if you can save money through them.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42