What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance LCD Panel  (Read 3638 times)

clovett

Sundance LCD Panel
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »
Never had a hot tub but I over extended my arm, now seems to be the time to acquire one.  I've been looking at used units now for several months and finally found a unit that I like.  It's a 2007 Sundance model 850.  The unit was not used very much and was indoors it's entire life.  It has two issues.

First they drained it about a year ago and for good reasons did not use it since.  Now it's developed a slight leak.  Could be a pump or it may be a fitting.  I understand that is about the norm.

The bigger issue, I think, is the control panel.  The plastic overlay is fine but the plastic over the LCD is, for a lack of a better term, melted.  I've attached a picture.  Anyone seen anything like this before and can an LCD be ordered or does the entire panel need to be replaced?  The buttons work fine but I would think for any diagnostics you would need to be able to read that panel.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance LCD Panel
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »

Kev B

Re: Sundance LCD Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:22:52 am »
 As terrible as it seems, you must replace the topside just because of the bad display.
 Good luck with the leak, hopefully it is in the pumps or unions and not in the inner depths of the tub.

clover

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »
To you it's a new tub, and, for as long as your going to use it and enjoy it, I would suggest spending the $300 to replace the control panel so that you can read the display function.  It is a simple task that can be easily accomplished using a putty knife to pry it up. 

However, please be advised, it is the abusive use of chemicals that causes this type of damage.  It's about the pH and alkalinity of water that causes chemicals to react adversely to some component parts.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

clovett

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »
Thanks.  The tub was purchased for a man's wife that had severe medical issues.  She was only able to use it for a few years as it became impossible for her to get in and out of the tub.  She passed away a year ago and it wasn't used since her passing at all.  The tub has never seen outside.  It's in a fully enclosed room in the house.  The cover is as new and it comes with the easy off lift.  He's asking $1500 but with the panel the way it is I am thinking $1000 to $1200.  Is that a reasonable offer?

clover

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:17:11 am »
I think a $1,500 price is below market.  I would snap it up at his price, and put in the new control panel.  They obviously had a poor support team that led to poor chemical maintenance and would have made his wife's use challenging.

You would be into it for under $2,000.  Then again, you can go to the dealer and buy a new one for more than $10,000.  A 7 year old spa, used as you explain, would be a good deal.  But then of course, you have to get it moved, and then once in place and operating, you're going to love it.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

clovett

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
I bought it for $1000.  Turns out the tub isn't leaking at all.  I took the side covers off and it's the recirculating pump that is the issue.  I can't find a rebuild kit but I can get a new Laing for $150.  The wood on the tub is as it was the day it rolled off the assembly line with the only signs of a leak being the one pump.  The two main pumps look like they have never been run.  It turns out he used minimal chemicals.  I may have to run high on chlorine for a day then drain and refill to clean out all the lines and make sure nothing is growing in there.

Now I just have to go and run the 220 for it and build a pad.  Woohoo

clovett

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »
Finished wiring it in today and put in Ahh-Some cleaner.  It has been running on and off for hours.  Either it doesn't work or the tub was not near as bad as I thought it was.  I am not getting much of a ring on the tub.

Now that it's night I could see if the display actually works.  It does so I am going to try and sand it down with 3000 grit sandpaper and rubbing compound.  I believe I can get it usable again with a little elbow grease.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42