What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HotSpring Sovereign vs HotSpring Relay  (Read 8365 times)

Andywmm9

HotSpring Sovereign vs HotSpring Relay
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:17:33 pm »
Completely new to the forums.  I'm not finding much difference on the two models.  All I know is the price is 2k more of the sovereign.  What extra do I get with it?   I have to have color changing LED lights.  My main concern is energy efficiency.   How much extra electricity will the relay use?

Hot Tub Forum

HotSpring Sovereign vs HotSpring Relay
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:17:33 pm »

buba

NZArtist

Re: HotSpring Sovereign vs HotSpring Relay
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »
Buy anything except a Hotspring spa.  In 18 months I've had three serious service problems with my Hotspring Grandee spa.  It was an overpriced piece of junk.  It is poorly made and unreliable.
I regret buying it.  If you buy a Hotspring spa you're buying the antithesis of a relaxing spa. It will frustrate and annoy you.

Quickbeam

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:27 am »
Buy anything except a Hotspring spa.  In 18 months I've had three serious service problems with my Hotspring Grandee spa.  It was an overpriced piece of junk.  It is poorly made and unreliable.
I regret buying it.  If you buy a Hotspring spa you're buying the antithesis of a relaxing spa. It will frustrate and annoy you.

Andywmm9,

I would not pay much attention to NZArtist. He has a personal gripe with Hotspring as you can see in another post he has going on this website. Maybe his concerns are valid for his particular case, but I wouldn't let his views influence your decision. Hotspring makes a good tub. I'm not a salesman, and in fact I don't even own Hotspring. I just recently purchased my first hot tub and bought a Jacuzzi. That being said, I do know Hotspring makes a good tub and they have a good reputation. Good luck with your decision!

girlinhotwater

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »
To start, I own a HS Envoy for over a year now and love it! Went through the worst winter ever in Chicago and it ran like a champ. My electric bill only went up about $30 during the coldest temps we've had in years. Pretty sure both Sovereign and Relay will have similar energy efficiency. Both are great spas, but since you asked what you get more for with the Sovereign, the items that jump out to me right away are as follows:
1. 100% filtration at all times.
2. Multi zone lighting. I have the pearl shell color which enhances the colors. (you will love the lighting options vs Relay)
3. Hello Moto-massage!
There are more differences that your dealer can over with you. I would also consider the Limelight pulse or Flair. As many, many mention on here you MUST test soak before you buy. The $2k difference is really nothing when you break it down over the course of ownership. In 15 years, it will only cost you a little over $10 bucks a month. Is it worth it?? I say it's a no brainer! Most people spend more than that at Starbucks getting a coffee! Good luck happy test soaking!

GGRANDEE

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »
I have had a Grandee for over a year now and it is almost maintenance- free. No regrets whatsoever. Glad I chose a HotSpring Spa. A beautiful piece of machinery!!  :)

kporter

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 02:50:58 pm »
Relay doesn't have a circ pump or ozonator built in.
Better hydrotherapy and jet variety in the Highlife models compared to the Hotspot line.
3 year extra warranty on the Highlife models
The Highlife line will be cheaper to run. 
100 percent no by pass filtration. If you are getting a 2014 Highlife you are getting TRI X filters upfront.
More intuitive control screen on the Highlife line.
The new 2014 Highlife is a pretty darn good looking line. Hotspots are good looking as well for the price.

Those are just to start....

Porter

NZArtist

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:28:24 pm »

I would not pay much attention to NZArtist. He has a personal gripe with Hotspring ...
... because their product, service, quality, heating, cost (both initial and ongoing) and reliability are terrible.

Really, ask yourself....  what motivates someone to come onto a hot-tub forum and complain so loudly about a product except that he's had an abysmal experience and would like to save other people from making the same mistake.

Quickbeam

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »

I would not pay much attention to NZArtist. He has a personal gripe with Hotspring ...
... because their product, service, quality, heating, cost (both initial and ongoing) and reliability are terrible.

Really, ask yourself....  what motivates someone to come onto a hot-tub forum and complain so loudly about a product except that he's had an abysmal experience and would like to save other people from making the same mistake.

I don’t doubt for a minute that you’ve had an abysmal experience. What I’m saying however, is that you are by far the exception, not the rule. You will find most Hotspring owners on this and other forums are very satisfied with their products. Hotspring has a good reputation and I don’t think someone should be influenced to not purchase a Hotspring product because of “the exception”. Now if Hotspring had wide spread customer complaints, that would be a different matter. But the fact is, they don’t - most Hotspring customers are satisfied.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:46 pm »

If your point is to avoid your particular dealer because they haven't been there for your issues then I understand your point giving you the full benefit of the doubt but if you're trying to say your experience means the manufacturer should be avoided at all costs... then that doesn't make sense.

Andywmm9

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »
Thanks guys for the responses.  My dealer quoted me 6400 for the relay and 8400 for the soverign. This includes the cover lifter, installation, and power box.   Is this an ok deal or should I look for another dealer?

NZArtist

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 05:26:07 pm »
If your point is to avoid your particular dealer because they haven't been there for your issues then I understand your point giving you the full benefit of the doubt but if you're trying to say your experience means the manufacturer should be avoided at all costs... then that doesn't make sense.

Fair comment.  The ACE chlorinator has failed twice in 18 months.  The pump seals have failed.  The heater is underpowered.  The cover straps were inadequate. These are problems of the quality of the Hotspring product.  The high initial pricing of the spa and very high ongoing costs are representative of the hubris of the company.
The late service and bad attitudes of the service people are a product of the Hotsprings staff.  I don't actually know if the company I'm dealing with is licensed to Hotspring or an actual office of Hotspring spas.  In either case they're still representatives of Hotspring and Hotspring have a problem they need to address. 

When people stop buying their spa pools maybe they'll consider doing something about it.

NZArtist

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 05:28:30 pm »
I don’t doubt for a minute that you’ve had an abysmal experience. What I’m saying however, is that you are by far the exception, not the rule. You will find most Hotspring owners on this and other forums are very satisfied with their products. Hotspring has a good reputation and I don’t think someone should be influenced to not purchase a Hotspring product because of “the exception”. Now if Hotspring had wide spread customer complaints, that would be a different matter. But the fact is, they don’t - most Hotspring customers are satisfied.

Have you noticed how when someone comes onto this forum to point out the bad quality, design and pricing they're shouted down by the zealots?
"Your experience is incorrect because mine hasn't failed yet!"  (Oh, and you're also probably not as smart as someone whose spa hasn't failed.)
Or the latest comments from today: "It's time to censor the guy who's having the bad experience."

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:32:28 pm by NZArtist »

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 05:50:18 pm »

Have you noticed how when someone comes onto this forum to point out the bad quality, design and pricing they're shouted down by the zealots?
"Your experience is incorrect because mine hasn't failed yet!"  (Oh, and you're also probably not as smart as someone whose spa hasn't failed.)
Or the latest comments from today: "It's time to censor the guy who's having the bad experience."

People are here to help, that hasn't changed. If you aren't getting answers from your dealer then try calling the manufacturer, that's why they post their number on their website.

When you come and basically state that your single experience is a full reflection on every spa that leaves the manufacturer's plant and their product should be avoided because of your single experience then that's where some here will push back.

BMW has a great reputation for their cars. I'm 100% sure that there are people out there who bought one and had multiple, frustrating issues with the car they bought. Hopefully their dealer steps up just as yours should but that doesn't mean BMWs should be avoided by everyone else.

NZArtist

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 05:55:44 pm »
People are here to help, that hasn't changed. If you aren't getting answers from your dealer then try calling the manufacturer, that's why they post their number on their website.

The manufacturer in the US tells me to contact my local office, which is the people I'm dealing with.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 05:55:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42