What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Super Newb Hot Tub guy...lost!!!  (Read 9296 times)

Weofus

Super Newb Hot Tub guy...lost!!!
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:50:58 pm »
Ok, my wife has some medical issues and were told a hot tub could be good for her muscles and joints.  I started doing some research today and am way out of my depth!  We are looking for something that seats 4-6, probably with a lounger.  I have no clue what is good in terms of how many jets it should have or anything like that.  I know we want it to sit on our patio so not in ground.  I haven't even found prices on a lot of websites.  Everyone wants to send you catalogs and stuff so not even sure of prices or anything.  I'm not sure if we should look for a used one or brand new.  Very confused.  Help????

Hot Tub Forum

Super Newb Hot Tub guy...lost!!!
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:50:58 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Super Newb Hot Tub guy...lost!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »
If you're planning on a lounger, you HAVE TO wet test the spa...most people that do this, change their mind, either omitting the lounger, or going with a different brand.

The number of jets you want, all depends on you and how it feels. Again, a wet test is necessary (2 or 3 perfectly placed jets are far better than 100 jets that feel like crap).

Go visit some dealers in your area, explain to them your needs, and just hear what they have to say. If anything peaks your fancy (and budget), try testing them out (most of the quality and top brands do NOT advertise pricing on the web).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chartreux

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »
First if this is something her doctor wants you to have then get a prescription for it as you'll save on the sales tax.

Second, you'll need to lose your shyness about the wet testing, I'm very shy as well, but did 2 wet tests so far and I'm waiting on the local Marquis dealer, for my next wet tests. Marquis has something called Microsilk technology which helps with dry skin, so maybe look at the Marquis website.

I'm looking for small 2 to 3 person with lounger and so far, Sundance has done the best in the wet tests as I didn't float much especially in the lounger which was nice and what also surprised me was a pillow under me helped me stay in the seat better, for the lounger...

Wish I could've stayed in the Sundance hot tub all day, it was so nice...

Good luck to you...it can be overwhelming...it is a lot to take in as well, plus you'll need a good electrician...do not skimp on the electrical work...and don't under power a hot tub either...I'm going for 60 amp panel, just so I can upgrade in the future...Maybe talk to an electrician and get the electrical work done first and then look at the hot tubs...

Weofus

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts.  We might try and go look around at some dealers this weekend.  I assume you have to set up a wet test ahead of time?

Quickbeam

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:38:38 pm »
If it was me, I would want a brand name tub from a dealer I could trust. Sounds easy, but there is a lot of leg work involved. As for brand named tubs, there are lots of them. Some examples would be Hotspring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis, Bullfrog, D1, Marquis. There are others, those are just the ones that come to mind. Find out who is in your area and go and start talking to dealers. Be sure also to find out about the dealer. How long have they been in business? How long have they sold that particular brand of spa? Check them out on BBB, etc., etc. You want to be sure you buy from a dealer you are comfortable with.

And yes, you must wet test. It is the only way you’ll know for sure. If the dealer says they don’t allow wet tests, time to look elsewhere. And one final piece of advice - keep posting on this forum. There are people on here with a lot of knowledge who will help guide you.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:51:47 pm »
First if this is something her doctor wants you to have then get a prescription for it as you'll save on the sales tax.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the state.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Weofus

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:35:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  After doing some research we are probably in the mid-range level for our first one.  I found a number of them from different companies, but don't know if there are ones that are good or I should stay away from.  Anyone have a mid-level one that they believe is better than the others? 

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  After doing some research we are probably in the mid-range level for our first one.  I found a number of them from different companies, but don't know if there are ones that are good or I should stay away from.  Anyone have a mid-level one that they believe is better than the others?

Its all about quality no matter what brand you purchase and no matter what spa level you're looking at so I'd look in the same place whether you're looking for a $12k spa or a $6k spa. All top of the line spa makers like Hot Spring, Caldera... also build mid level and entry level spas and they focus on quality in all their brands, its mostly the bells and whistles that change from one level to another. For instance Hot Spring sells Highlife spas that are top of the line and well known for quality but their line of Hot Spot spas are also great sellers because of the fact that they still give you plenty of spa but at a lesser price point while continuing the emphasis on quality on that next level brand. Use the dealer locators on the spa websites and see who is local to you.

Weofus

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 01:37:12 pm »
Thanks, I did look at Hot Springs and noticed the Relay or Tempo.  I haven't looked at Caldera yet.  We are a little ways away from making a decision, but trying just get more info.

civicfire99

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »
Just my two cents, but I had a Jacuzzi "very low" level Winchester spa, and it was absolutely fantastic.  Easy to work on (replaced board and a pump after 5 years), jets were great, loved the high seat (you could sit half way out of the water to cool off).  I just upgraded to a J-480, far far far more expensive, but mostly for the looks, jets, lights, etc, which I personally don't care too much about.  Basically, I agree that quality is most important, though there are people who will say the Winchester is total crap.  It was a 2005 and still running strong, whereas the J-480 is a 2009 and has a leaky waterfall and a bad DC converter for the stereo :(  Good luck!

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:08 pm »
We bought a Sunrise S104 (6-7 person, no lounger), which is a mid-tier spa from what I guess is a mid-tier builder.  The local Jacuzzi dealer and Bullfrog dealers both sold Sunrise at their stores, also indicating that they sold 5 Sunrise for every Jacuzzi/Bullfrog.

We couldn't be happier with the value that we got as we believe the tub to have more bells and whistles for less money than the mid-level Jacuzzi and/or Bullfrog.  The wet test sealed the deal for us as we enjoyed it better than the top brands (and we tested them too).

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts.  We might try and go look around at some dealers this weekend.  I assume you have to set up a wet test ahead of time?

Welcome to the forum. Bring up the wet test when you are out shopping. Sometimes you learn a lot about a dealer on that subject.  Some people buy tubs without ever wet testing and would never think of doing that.  Me, personally, I didn't the first time, but did the 2nd time and it was a great experience thanks to a dealer who was easy to work with.

What brands are in your area?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 04:31:37 pm »

I used my moderator powers and peaked, I suspect he is in Province rather than a state :)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Weofus

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:41 am »

I used my moderator powers and peaked, I suspect he is in Province rather than a state :)

LOL...your moderator power needs some work as I am in Southern California! 

Most of the big spa companies are in my area.

Weofus

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:32 am »
The wife and I went out on Saturday to a place fairly close that has Bullfrog, Marquis, Sundance, and Coast Spas.  They also had Coleman, but I didn't know they made spas or anything about them.  They had a couple of floor model Bullfrog R6 and R7 that my wife liked.  The floor models were on discount, $7500 for R6 and $9000 for R7.  Also, my wife liked the Coast Spa's Curve.  The guy was great and said we could wet test anything and everything if we just gave me some notice so we might go back next weekend and wet test a few.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42