What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-470 -- can cover open to the side, instead of the back?  (Read 5529 times)

kitchener

Instead of what I think is the more traditional cover set up for the high-backed 400-series Jacuzzis, I need to set the cover up so it opens to the left side.  Is this possible?  Of course, it's a square (91" x 91") tub, but it's got that high back, so I'm not sure how that impacts its cover designs.

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Jacuzzi J-470 -- can cover open to the side, instead of the back?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:47:21 am »
 No not possible.    :'(  One fault with that raised back.

kitchener

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:37:34 am »
That drain on the left is messing me up!  My best view was going to be over the right side of the tub, but now that view will have to be over the back of the rear of the hot tub so the drain on the left side is exposed (never considered that!) -- seeing over the back wouldn't be too bad, but if the cover is sticking up, that'd be less than ideal. 

My plan was to recess about 30" x 30" of the left corner of the tub into the left corner of my ground-level deck.  As it's ground level, there'd be about a perfect 20" of the corner still above the decking, eliminating the need for steps.  From the left corner of the tub, it's about 30" to the start of the front access panel.    But studying the schematics, I realize now that plan places the spa drain recessed under the deck (I guess I thought it was on the right side, or maybe more accurately, I never thought about it).  If I rotate the tub to the right (recessing 30" x 30" of the right corner, instead), that will leave the spa drain exposed on the left, but presumably several feet of spa cover rising above an already high back will block the best view from the tub (other than the sky above). 

Is there a cover for the 400-series that disappears from view?  Or, could I get away with recessing that spa drain if I permanently ran a feeder hose out from under the deck?  As an aside, the work hasn't begun, yet (such as the concrete, as well as re-decking the deck in composite, let alone cutting out that 30" x 30"section).

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:51:05 am »
  Your only option is no cover lift at all, which is less than ideal.   As far as the drain, honestly I would buy a 30+ dollar  submersible pump, it's fast and easy.     

kitchener

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »
  Your only option is no cover lift at all, which is less than ideal.   As far as the drain, honestly I would buy a 30+ dollar  submersible pump, it's fast and easy.   

What about those aftermarket covershelfs?  Two arms that turn and rest flush with the side (or back) of a hot tub, then you turn them out, and simply slide the cover over on to them (per "shelf")?  But, again, with the uneven top of the raised-back J-470, not sure about that feasibility.

Submersible pump?  Do tell me more.  You mean ignoring the drain, and simply pumping the water straight over the side?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
  Not particularly this one but it would work.   And yes if the drain is accessible great,  if not just get the pump.   I have one and it works fast, and I can still use the exterior drain in I want.   

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15125714?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009549166&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42080242270&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=39986230630&veh=sem

Cover shelf might work, it's a pretty big cover.     Getting the cover off is always easy, getting it back on by yourself or just your wife can be a pain, specially for older people.   Not saying your old but I am sure you get what I mean  ;)    That being said if there are two of you then getting it back on is easier.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:51:44 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

kitchener

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 04:20:36 pm »
The submersible pump sounds like the way to go -- let's me have my cake and eat it, too, in terms of which direction the hot tub is placed on the slab in relation to my deck.  But, is there any downside to never again having access to the drain (which would be recessed under my deck)?   

Again, not recessing the whole tub, just the front left corner (30" down the left side, 30" across the front from the left (to where the access panel starts) -- but just so happens the section I want to recess includes the drain!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:34:08 pm by kitchener »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 05:36:47 pm »
Do you live in an area the sees freezing temp in the winter?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:27 pm »
 If the drain is blocked shouldn't be an issue, you could add an extended hose off the drain, but like Doc mentioned if you freeze in the Winter might be an issue..

kitchener

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 06:42:38 pm »
Yes, I'm in Delaware (mid-Atlantic) so while we never see below zero F, teens and 20s are commom in the dead of winter. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:44:35 pm by kitchener »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 07:32:13 pm »
For years I relied on a smallish pump that I used to drain the water off my pool's cover, it died so I bought a sump pump ... what a difference! it is super quick compared to the other pump. Just recently I have used the bottom drain and only because I let the tub go and wanted super chlorinated water to flush that area.

And as far as draining the tub in the winter. I live in NJ so a little north of Delaware but I believe we have about the same weather. I tend to change my water out beginning to middle of November and have even done it around Thanksgiving ... 3 months is February and I can stretch it to March (or end of February) as long as no parties have been in the tub. Winter is only a problem with adding water if it's been very cold.

I wouldn't worry too much and position the tub any way that works for you - just make sure you can get to the pumps if you need to. When I bought my spa it has 3 therapy pumps along with a circ pump and I thought they were all under the topside controls ... nope, one pump is under the filter so if I ever have to get to it I will be a little cramped unless I take a portion of the railing down on the deck.

kitchener

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 12:02:27 am »
...just make sure you can get to the pumps if you need to. When I bought my spa it has 3 therapy pumps along with a circ pump and I thought they were all under the topside controls ... nope, one pump is under the filter so if I ever have to get to it I will be a little cramped unless I take a portion of the railing down on the deck.

Thanks Vinny.  Sounds like I'm going to be researching pumps here next.

Your comment raises another good question, though.  Not sure who here knows the Jacuzzi 400-series but if I don't block the handy-dandy access panel dead-center at the front of the tub, am I hurting myself, future access-wise, if I recess the front left corner?  The schematics show there's a pump on that front, left side, but maybe it's accessible via that center access panel?

mrpenguin

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:30 am »
"Drain on left"

Not sure if I missed it or if you know... (at least on my 2014 J470)

The drain on the left is for the quick drain only.  There is another drain on the front right corner that you hook a hose up to.
The quick drain hose they send is barely longer than a foot or two past the tub. 

kitchener

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14:29 am »
"Drain on left"

Not sure if I missed it or if you know... (at least on my 2014 J470)

The drain on the left is for the quick drain only.  There is another drain on the front right corner that you hook a hose up to.
The quick drain hose they send is barely longer than a foot or two past the tub.

Now that's some good news!  I've been reading what I think is a 2009 J-470 manual that I downloaded from online.  However, the PDF my dealer sent me (for schematics to give to my contractor) is a bit confusing on the topic.  In the "RIGHT SIDE VIEW" it shows a "Quick Drain and Location" toward the front right of the tub.  But, to the left of that "right side" schematic, it says "spa drain located on the left side."  I didn't realize that might have meant there are two drains!  So, looks like much ado about nothing (though I do like the speed of the submersible pump from all I've read).

Tell me -- if your front, center access panel were off, would it be difficult for a service technician to access whatever's to the left of there?  As above, am hoping to recess the 30" to the left of the front access panel (and 30" down the left side), aka, the front left corner of the J-470.  It won't be completely recessed, just the 18'5" to where the bluetooth door is.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42