What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tri-X Filter Cleaning, Weekly Shock?  (Read 2142 times)

akm

Tri-X Filter Cleaning, Weekly Shock?
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »
Greetings...

Just about to finish my first month in my Hot Spring Envoy - loving it!  Ran into two questions I was hoping I could get the "straight dope" on, rather than relying on the questionable information I see elsewhere:

1. I have 3 Tri-X filters in the filter compartment.  I haven't done anything to them since I've owned the tub.  Should I be cleaning these...weekly? Monthly?  And, what does cleaning entail?  I've seen various stuff from rinse with a hose to soak in some kind of chemical solution overnight and rinse to run through an empty dishwasher with no soap.  Also, it appears that I need to drop both breakers on my shut-off panel before taking them out...haven't powered this thing off yet so that's a bit intimidating.

2. I also keep reading people talk about shocking their tub weekly.  I'm using dichlor (will switch to dichlor then bleach after I change the water after the 1-month mark next weekend - didn't switch to bleach as I knew the water would be changed soon).  Should I really be shocking to 10ppm FC once a week if I'm otherwise keeping my chlorine in check manually?  Seems like it'd take the tub out of commission for a day or two each time while the FC levels dropped.

Thanks ya'll for making this experience a positive one for me and my family.

Hot Tub Forum

Tri-X Filter Cleaning, Weekly Shock?
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Tri-X Filter Cleaning, Weekly Shock?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:25 am »
  Not to be rude but what's your dealer tell you?   I mean you only spent 8 or 9 grand plus with him, might be worth a call.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:17:14 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:54:35 am »
About the filter cleaning:

At the end of one month, I recommend a water change (sounds like you are going to do that) and clean the filters. If you pull the filters out and spray them with a strong jet from a garden hose, you will get out most of the dirt, leaves, small children, etc. But you will not get the oils. So at the one-month, use a filter cleaning solution. After that, once a year for most folks is fine - that is, CLEAN once a year, rinse as often as needed. Only you can find out how often you need to rinse: if you pull a filter and give it a rinse but nothing really comes off, you can stretch out the interval next time.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Topline Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:39 am »
I had to rinse my filters with the garden hose after 8 hrs. of a new fill.  My well water is full of rust, and my filters collect all that rust and turn orange.  The garden hose sprays this right off of them with ease. 

A good filter cleaner would be TSP, or trisodium phosphate.  I bought mine on amazon.  Here in WI, you can't buy the stuff in the stores, because of the phosphates. 

chas, I have to question the oils in the filter.  Oil floats in water, and therefore wouldn't make it into the filter, for the most part, right?  I think the scum line that forms around the water line is created by body oils and lotions.  I don't have the experience that you do, so maybe my assumption is wrong..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42