What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Gleam.... Opinions on current generation?  (Read 6135 times)

kitchener

Hot Spring Gleam.... Opinions on current generation?
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »

A semi-local Hot Springs dealer is trying to make it very difficult for us to close a deal on a 14 Jacuzzi J-470!

He's offering $12,995 for a 13 leftover Gleam, retrofitted with some sort of Bluetooth stereo (the Jacuzzi has the stereo, and we like the option of streaming Pandora sometimes). If you read my past posts you know we wet-tested some well-regarded tubs before settling on the 470. We didn't wet-test the HS's because their highlife series doesn't really have much in the way of foot jets (important to us). Included in that testing was the Caldera Cantabria (similar in size to the Gleam), who's jets we didn't like as much as the 470. The Gleam's size does offer the cake and eat it too of a lounge and plenty of seating, and I hear the moto-massage is impressive (?).

We haven't plunked down on the 14 Jacuzzi, but intend to this week. What's the view on the limelight series' Gleam? Worth (yet another!) wet-test before we buy the 470? If nothing else, it'll be ammo to get the 14 J-470 down to $12,995 from $13,195.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Gleam.... Opinions on current generation?
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Spring Gleam.... Opinions on current generation?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
 The gleam in my opinion is not of the same caliber as the J-470, you need to be looking at the highlife series for that.   Or compare the gleam to the 300 series of the Jacuzzi.  Like the J-385 or the 365.

Sam

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:48 pm »
The gleam in my opinion is not of the same caliber as the J-470, you need to be looking at the highlife series for that.   Or compare the gleam to the 300 series of the Jacuzzi.  Like the J-385 or the 365.

Exactly what I was going to post.  You are comparing Jacuzzi's high-end line to Hot Spring's second tier.  If you really like the J-470 after wet testing several, I say go for it.  The small difference in price when stretched out over the time that you will own this is nothing.  As a matter of fact, I bet if you went in to the Jacuzzi guy and told him that you were hung up on that $300 price difference and pull out your checkbook to show him you are serious, he would probably go for it.

kitchener

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »
Thanks.  The fact it's from their Limelight series is pretty much why I thought I should do some further digging.  But given where it starts at price-wise, and that it's often compared with the Cantabria, seemed worth a post to confirm.

mrmojo1111

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »
I don't know. The Gleam is a pretty impressive tub on paper, at least. I went into my search with the notion that the Gleam was what I wanted, simply based on sheer size, and because I thought I wanted a lounger. Could never find one in stock, thus could never wet test, thus ended up not including it in my final cut. I will say that the moto-massage feels awesome to me, but, of course, your mileage may vary. You certainly can't beat the size and seating flexibility. That seems like a very good price for a huge tub, especially if you factor in the sound system, which has to be close to a 1K option. In the end, you are looking at a couple of great options. I think you owe it to yourself to wet test the Gleam. You may find that you love the way it feels. At the very least, you have more ammunition to take to the bargaining table. At the point you are at, there's no way they let you walk for $500. And don't let the Jacuzzi salesman try to tell you that the Gleam is some second rate tub. Heck, HS puts a higher MSRP on it than on the Grandee, FWIW.

kitchener

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:30 pm »
You read my mind, Mojo -- we have an appointment to wet-test the Gleam Thursday morning, and that should be the final variable before deciding.  Worse comes to worse, I'll take the quote into the Jacuzzi store and shave a little more off the top.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:17 am »
 I hope the Jacuzzi salesman comment was not directed at me because I didn't say the Gleam was a second rate spa!  It's a big spa and has 3 pumps with some nice seating.  If you like it then it might be the spa for you!     Honestly it's odd that it's not in their highlife series, but then it would need no-bypass filtration with 8 filters,  and it would also be in the 18,000 range or more instead of 13 and I'm not talking MSRP. 

Hope the wet test goes well and you find what your looking for! 

mrmojo1111

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:29:06 am »
No, Jim, I wasn't referring to you. Actually, I didn't know you were a dealer. I meant his local dealer, because I had several similar experiences. Reading my post now I can see how it might be interpreted as you suggested, so I apologize for any unintended offense. Quite to the contrary, I greatly value all of the input volunteered by the professionals who frequent the board. It has certainly helped to guide me in my spa purchase adventure.

kitchener

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 01:11:08 am »
    ... Honestly it's odd that it's not in their highlife series, but then it would need no-bypass filtration with 8 filters,...

This is an area, especially where a lot of manufacturer sales jargon is involved, where my eyes glaze over.  Given that the J-470 is Jacuzzi's high-end line, does it also offer a better filtration system than the limelight series Gleam?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:40 am »
 No worries mrmojo, thanks!

As for the filter I wouldn't let it sway me if I liked the spa, the 400 is probably better as it has the micron filter and a higher flow circ pump. But I am sure the 100sqft in the gleam is fine.

kitchener

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:57:32 pm »
Well. the wet-test took care of all questions.  I'm 5'10", and I guess the lounger must be designed for someone taller, as this is the first tub where I, and not just my 5'6" wife, had float issues.  Neither of us could relax. 

That settles that.  We'll wrap up the J-470 purchase today, I think.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:57:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42