What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa enclosure?  (Read 2752 times)

mrmojo1111

Spa enclosure?
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:28:10 pm »
Well, after much thought, research, and shopping around, I pulled the trigger and ordered a HS Grandee NXT. Should be here in a week or so. Thanks to all for your adevice and help. In the end, it really came down to the wet test. So glad we took the time to drive all over creation and sit in tubs, or we might have made a 13K mistake!

My question now is about spa enclosures. Who uses one? What do you use? What materials work best? My plan originally was to get an umbrella to hang over the spa, but now I am thinking I might want something with a bit more permanence. I currently favor the idea of building a cedar pergola that will fit around the tub, and then adding a retractable awning over the top and two sides. Has anyone done this? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Spa enclosure?
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:28:10 pm »

kitchener

Re: Spa enclosure?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
We have much the same plan for our imminent Jacuzzi J-470.  I like the pergola approach for star gazing, rather than some sort of permanent roof.  We were thinking some sort of rolled up sides (I'd say bamboo but the boss hates bamboo, but you get the idea) that can be unfurled to create a side wall(s) for privacy.  The pergola pillars might make good mounts for towel hooks, too. 

Hadn't thought about a retractable awning -- maybe for phase two (it would be nice in the rain). 

mrmojo1111

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:37:39 am »
Congratulations on your new purchase! Sounds like you are being a good one! The J495 was in our final three. As I mentioned, it just came down to seat fit. I really like the features on the Jacuzzi 400's.

Yeah, I had the same thought about towel/robe hooks on the pergola legs. I've seen some prefab steel pergolas with a large canvas panel clear from one side to the other where both sides can be rolled up or down to about three feet off the deck, or the whole shooting match can be removed. It seems like you could easily create a three-sided enclosure using the cover as the third side. To bad those things apart to be so cheaply made. Sounds like they rust in about a year, are prone to blowing away, and the canvas holds water, stretches, and tears in short order. Thus the DIY project. I'd like to use cedar to match the other structures in the patio, but treated wood will probably be more durable.

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:29:43 am »
When we bought our first tub 22 years ago we wanted to cover it. I would never want a tub covered now. we love sitting out when the snow is falling or light rain. At night you watch the stars . It's the best.
Waiting on our new Jacuzzi J-325 any day now...

mrmojo1111

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:12 pm »
I totally agree that I want to be able to see the stars and feel the rain or snow. That's why I'm considering a pergola.  Also, if necessary, an awning could be used to provide shade or privacy.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:48 pm »
We have to have one to enjoy our spa. Being in the south, we have a large collection of outdoor flying insects; mosquitoes and the like. I don't want to have to sit outside, swatting bugs, so we give up the vision of the sky for some serenity within out screened gazebo. You can see our set up in the show your hot tub section.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Chartreux

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »
I'm in the South too. When we decide on our hot tub spa it will be put in an enclosed screen room, screened all around with a brick base...Also a ceiling fan off center to the hot tub.
Hot tub will either be Capri by Sundance, Marquis Spirit...I sure do want to wet tests a Marquis with the microsilk, to see how good it'll feel... If the Sundance had that on it I would've bought the Capri a Month ago...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42