What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can i store my chemicals outside ?  (Read 2830 times)

Budule

Can i store my chemicals outside ?
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
I was going to put up a small cabinet on my deck to store the chemicals but not sure if that's a good idea , will some of them freeze ? or maybe get to hot in the summer ?

Hot Tub Forum

Can i store my chemicals outside ?
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Can i store my chemicals outside ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:19:48 pm »
All the powdered ones will be fine. The liquids I would bring inside for the winter

chem geek

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:29 pm »
Chlorinating liquid or bleach will degrade faster at higher temperatures.  See the chart at the bottom of this link for chlorinating liquid (or bleach) half-life as a function of concentration and temperature.

I would be careful about storing Muriatic Acid and would keep it separate from chlorine and note that it will corrode metal nearby.  Both Muriatic Acid and chlorinating liquid or bleach have pressure-relief caps so they will outgas their contents if pressure builds up.

As for freezing, Muriatic Acid that is full-strength (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) has a freezing point of -50.8ºF; half-strength (15-16%) of -0.4ºF.  12% chlorinating liquid freezes at 5ºF; 6% bleach at 19ºF.

As was noted by Hottubguy, all the powdered/granular forms should be fine though even the granular chlorine will degrade in heat, but not nearly as quickly as chlorinating liquid or bleach.  Dry acid should be fine.  Baking Soda and pH Up will likewise be fine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42