What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best Cover device  (Read 4145 times)

Budule

Best Cover device
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:44 pm »
With the hot tub on the way I started thinking  (and researching) my "free lifter" , I think the one he's "giving" me is a simple leverage one that uses the covers hinge to hang from , im not really liking the thought of that to much so I started looking for an alternative ....I DO NOT want one that has the cover way up in the air and want it low as possible , the one im leaning towards it the "Roller " thingy where you just slide the cover off on the rollers , that would seam to be the easiest on the cover I would think....anybody have one like that or something better ?

Hot Tub Forum

Best Cover device
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:44 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Best Cover device
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:06:14 am »
I have the one where you flip back the cover 1/2 way then flip the cover up, its called the cover mate. I have the one that the cover stands above the tub but I believe other ones from them have it go to the ground. I just replaced my cover after 9 years and the hinge stood up to the "abuse".  If I get another 9 years out of my new cover ..... I'll be a happy person.

So if you're looking for preserving your cover, I don't think you need to worry. Buy the lifter for what you need/want and design you like. Remember that anything you get that doesn't close close to the tub will need additional room to use.

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:32:07 am »
I have a very unique situation in that my tub is on a roof deck, placed right in tight to the corner of the deck. That means I really only had one side of my tub where I could place a cover lifter, as one of the two exposed sides has the control panel on it. I just wasn’t sure what to do for a cover “lifter”, so I improvised. In the summer, we have summer furniture on our deck, so had very little space for a lifter. We also have a view from our deck, so I didn’t want a cover lifter that would obstruct the view. I ended up making a small, four wheeled trolley that I am currently using, and I also bought a cover “shelf” which I think you are referring to as a “Roller Thingy”. We bought the cover shelf to use after the summer, when we will not have any patio furniture on our deck. I have used it a couple of times and from that limited experience it seems to work fine. I know others on this board have used them with good success. As for the home made trolley, it works great as well. It’s really just a piece of plywood with four wheels on it. When I want to remove the cover I put the trolley in place, at the side of the tub, lock the wheels and then slide the cover part way off the tub. Then using the side of the tub as a fulcrum, I tilt the cover down onto the trolley. I then unlock the wheels and wheel the cover out of the way. Works quite well.

doodle

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:20 am »
I have the Covermate II which drops the cover down the side.  You need clearance on the side of the tub for the cover to swing down.  Like the lifter you are looking at, the cover folds over a bar at the hinge and hangs there.  The cover still sits above the edge of tub some, but it isn't "way up in the air" which is why I picked it.  This model is available to either attach to the side of the tub or onto brackets which slide under the tub.  I like it.   

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 08:39:24 pm »
I would think that would very quickly put big grooves in the bottom of the cover, eventually wearing through.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Quickbeam

aeajr

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:07 pm »
Those shelf devices look pretty easy to use.  I especially like the one with the rollers.   But I could not have used it as I don't have that much clearance.

But if you can slide the cover out over the railing,  that seems a good solution.  Just make sure you don't push it too far.  :D

Budule

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »
well after talking to my dealer he said he quit using that style as more than once (after the cover got "heavy" ) the screws pulled out of the side panels......so I think ill just make something and attach it to the fence instead of the tub , wasn't to thrilled about drilling into a new tub anyways.....

Pers Onal

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:14 am »
My older tub frame originally wasn't solid enough to attach a cover lift. I kept planning to get one, but never got around to to it.

Basically, I have the tub positioned just the right distance from the handrail (tub is on a second floor deck) so that when I slide the cover towards the hand rail the first half to slide off hits a shelf positioned to stop it from sliding more than about half way down. This positions the the split right at that edge of the tub and I simply fold the other half back over the handrail.

Has worked well for fourteen years or so and three covers.

Only tricky thing about it is that when you get out of the tub, and fold the top half to the center you then have to lift toward the sky to pull the other half up over the lip.  Easy to do, my 100 lb wife does it easily.

My point is - whatever works well.

I keep thinking that  I should purchase or make a shelf, but this works so well that is a low priority and I have many things I need to do more urgently.

daisybz111

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:52 am »
We have the CoverMate 2 and it works great.  Only sticks up about 1 foot on the back, rather than two or three feet.   Easy handling also.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42