What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub cleaning  (Read 2194 times)

iceno9

Tub cleaning
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:11:19 am »
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie question im afraid....

So i have got my second hand tub and have nearly finished wiring it all up. I have even added extra insulation to the inside cabinet walls to improve efficiency a little....
Anyway my question is - what about cleaning? I thinkt he tub was in a hard water area because the now empty tub appears to have alot of calcium deposits on it. It will brush off, but it got me looking at the jets and piping etc.
If i remove a jet, i ofter see a build up of sand behind them. The piping is not so clear and may have calcium deposits in it.
I have a bottle of "swirl away" to use....but should i get the tub running for a couple of months and then use the swirl away on my first drain? Or do you think i should use it now to get everything fresh before i start?

In the case of the latter....should i add water, get to temp, take out all jets (which should now come out easier because of the warm water) and then use swirl away?
Problem with this is a) it wastes 300 gallons of water, b) It wastes the electricity heating and c) i assume i wouldnt need any chemicals in?....otherwise it would waste those too...

Any advice welcome..

Hot Tub Forum

Tub cleaning
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:11:19 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Tub cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:17:22 pm »
Typically the solution for a tub with calcium deposits is to lower the PH of the water that's in the tub at the time so the calcium dissolves back into the water but obviously you can't do that. I don't think that it works with "new" water.

I don't know if a product like Swirl Away would work, it may not remove calcium deposits but it doesn't hurt to try it. Googling gave a website that the person there said use Spa flush which is the same type of product as Swirl Away; I have used Swirl Away in the past and recently used Ahh-some and both have given me good results. You don't need to heat the water but you will need to fill, add swirl away, run pumps, dump, refill, run pumps and dump the tub's water.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Tub cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:17:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42