What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub causing me lung problems, I think  (Read 35132 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot tub causing me lung problems, I think
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »
So, How did it go?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

Rolacoy

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2014, 08:21:55 am »
We used the HT last night and here is the results. It seems that the Frog is not putting any Bromine into the water.

July 4 8 PM
Bromide 1/2
PH 7.2
TA 80

It sure felt good, we were in before the heater came on and it was a little cool, but still good. I am not getting a calcium build up. The water is still sparkling clear. I opened the doors just a bit and turned a box fan on to blow across the HT. ALL IS WELL.

Thank you all for the help.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2014, 08:48:48 am »
I'm glad you're able to use it without problems.

I've read that adding a little bit of chlorine will reactivate the bromine - don't let your sanitizer get too low so your tub gets yucky.

Something you might want to keep in mind is if you start having problems and the water is oldish (over a month old) you may just want to consider changing the water out. It could be the best solution to your problems.

Hopefully all the bad stuff is behind you - ENJOY!

Rolacoy

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2014, 05:06:53 pm »
I refilled the HT last Saturday so the water is only a week old. I have kept this new water pretty much right where it is supposed to be. And am using it daily.

Rolacoy

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2014, 05:59:34 pm »
My wife and I have been using the tub at night, but mostly me. These are my test results. Sorry they are long, don't bother if you don't want. But any suggestions are welcome. I just don't see whare the Frog is doing anything.

HOT TUB

July 3 8:30 AM, Bromine 2/2, PH 7.4, TA 80
Frog in the water

July 3 8:30 PM, Bromine 1/2, PH 7.2, TA 100

July 4 8 AM, Bromine 0/0, PH 7.2, TA 80
Added teaspoon of diamond Sana spa, 8:30 AM bromide at 5/10

July 4 8 PM, Bromine 1/2, PH 7.2, TA 80

July 5 9:30 PM, Bromine 0/0, PH 7.2, TA is 80
I added 1 tablespoon of diamond Sana spa

July 6 8 AM, Bromine 1/3, PH 7.3, TA 80

July 6 9 PM, Bromine 1/2, PH 7.3 , TA 80
I added 1 tablespoon of diamond Sana spa

July 7 9 AM, Bromine 5/10, PH 7.4, TA 100

July 7 9 PM, Bromine 1/2, PH 7.4, TA 100

July 8 at 10 PM, Bromine 1/1, PH 7.2 ,TSA 90

July 11 10:00 AM, I had to change types of test strips, Bromine .5, PH 7.2, TA 40

clover

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 06:28:18 pm »
TA took a dip to 40, you need to icrease alkalinity.  What does you water look like, clean & clear, no odors no cloudy water?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

chem geek

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 07:27:39 pm »
The TA "measurement" dipped to 40, but as was noted "I had to change types of test strips".  Test strips are pretty much useless.  This is why I recommend using the Taylor K-2006 for chlorine or the Taylor K-2106 for bromine.  Yes, the TA will drop slowly over time when using bromine tabs since they are net acidic, but it won't drop from 80 to 40 over 2-1/2 days when it was stable the previous 5 days.  Roughly speaking, every 10 ppm bromine from tabs will lower the TA by 4 ppm.  So a 40 ppm drop would take 100 ppm bromine usage from tabs.

Rolacoy

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 07:43:11 pm »
Yes I think it was I ran out of HTH test strips and used something else. I will get some more HTH. The water is still clear and had a bit of bromine smell, but not bad. I will see if the TA is stable at 40 for a day or so and bump it back up a bit.

Quickbeam

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:53 pm »
You really might want to take Chemgeek's advice and get yourself a Taylor test kit. That way you will know that your readings are accurate. It would also help others on this forum to give you advice, as they will know the numbers you are providing are correct. Something for you to consider.

clover

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:08 pm »
.....The water is still clear and had a bit of bromine smell, but not bad. I will see if the TA is stable at 40 for a day or so and bump it back up a bit.

ding, ding, ding, that's your "smeller tester" going off, and by your measurements so noted, you found the answer to your problem that is causing GAS off the water, which is what you smell, and this is where your breathing problems begin to occur.  Adjust it Now, don't wait a day, that doesn't solve your problem.  Your alkalinity needs to be 80 to 120 and now you know it needs to go up with alkalinity increaser, and then test alkalinity again until you are within the target range. 

Adjustment to not occur immediately, so give it some time to circulate

Even chemgeek uses sight and smell first and can recognize the conditions before testing.  You just need to know when to test and when to take action.  Pretty soon, you will be "flying by the seat of your pants" in clean clear water.  Waiting a day only compounds the problem.

Also, you may recognize what recently happened that caused you water to change. 

Rolacoy

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 09:28:24 am »
I am slowly bringing the TA up, it's about 80 now. I guess the "ding, ding, ding" means I am stupid. Could be or maybe just ignorant. Anyway the water is still clear, feels great and nearly no smell. I still don't know what the Frog is doing.

clover

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »
"ding, ding, ding" means I am stupid. Could be or maybe just ignorant. Anyway the water is still clear, feels great and nearly no smell.
No, not at all, it means you are doing exactly what I was talking about, smelling your water, and that is your smell tester that is alerting you that you water is out of balance, take notice.  Left uncorrected, it progressively gets worse, and you have been there before.

As for ignorant, which is the lack of knowledge on a particular subject like brain surgery, well, we are all ignorant about something aren't we.  Ask Chemgeek.  ;)

doodle

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2014, 11:12:39 am »
Rolacoy -
I hope you aren't feeling stupid or ignorant.  I personally have very much appreciated this post and following you through this process -- it has taught me a couple of things that will be helpful to my own water balancing.  This is why I have continued to check in to this forum after purchasing my tub.  We all have things we need advice on, and we all have things that we have learned along the way that might help somebody else.

I think the water is confusing to a lot of the us.  But, thanks to the forum, I'm feeling a lot more confident than when I started a few months ago!

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »
+1 to what Doodle said.   ;)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:25 am »
Me thinks you are testing too much.  Please relax and enjoy.  sounds like you are close to control.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42