What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub causing me lung problems, I think  (Read 35104 times)

clover

Re: Hot tub causing me lung problems, I think
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »
No, it was not using stain and scale that prevents the calcium build up. 

However, if the Frog perciptated the calcium problem as you suggested, is it wise to go back to that right away, or should we establish clean, clear water first by balancing the pH and alkalinity, adding granular chlorine (di-chlor) in the meantime.

Did you pick up any test strips, or a test taylor test kit to check your own water?  Relying on other sources 40 miles away can lead to delays and water conditions.  There are people here willing to talk you through things.  It only complicates matters if you go to 2 different places, get 2 different opinions, with sombody selling you something as the solution.

it would be easier if your wife could depend on you learning how to test you water on site, with simple adjustments, you will find this to be very simple twice a week. 

It's time to pick your advisors, too many cooks will ruin the stew.

How long have you owned this hot tub?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:04 pm »
I'm glad that the calcium went back into the water!

Before you go to any store, please re-read the bromine link I posted and if you need bromine starter then pick it up as well. Something to consider is to pick up at least test strips as the dealers had different numbers for your water.

I can't comment on using peroxide as I use dichlor and bleach and that has been easy and economical for me.

When you put the water in the tub and if you need to adjust something (everything) add whatever a little at a time-  the PH of my water out of the tap is 7.0 or below and adding a little bit of baking soda (maybe less then 8 oz) will raise it to 7.4.

If you are unsure- ask here.

Rolacoy

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 12:15:25 am »
I have always had test strips and have had the hot tub for about a year. I have tried and tried and just cain't seem to get the balance down right. Maybe I am getting in a hurry and over correcting and pretty soon I feel like I am floating on chemicals. I just figured the spa people could test it better than I can. But, you are right, they want to sell something and everyone has a different cure.

I have got to go into town tomorrow. I plan to get the correct shock. Also I am going to call the Frog Manufacturer and talk to them about the Frog system and how to start it up correctly.

Quickbeam

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 02:06:17 am »
I'm a new hot tub owner and have found that you are better off to test your own water. I took the same water sample to two different dealers and got two different results. One of those dealers had a computerized testing system, and told me that I would probably get more accurate results with the Taylor test kit. I now do all my own water tests. I really think you need to get a Taylor test kit and learn how to properly balance your water. It can be confusing at first, but once you get it, it shouldn't be at all difficult from there.

I'll also let you know that we are using hydrogen peroxide in our tub. As I said, we are new tub owners, but so far we love the hydrogen peroxide. We found out about it from a friend who has been using it successfully for some time now.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 05:39:44 pm »
Coming in late to the discussion.  I am guessing that, since spa cost was $1500, it was used.  A spa purge product should be used to clean the pipes.  Hopefully a new filter was installed.  Part of what you may be dealing with is a former owners garbage.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Rolacoy

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »
We did buy the hot tub from a friend for $1500.00, it was in use and in very good shape, clean and working properly. We did install a new filter. Any troubles have come from my poor use of chemicals thru lack of understanding. I am going to use the Frog again, now that I understand where the calcium came from. What has confounded me is that the hot tub has been so much harder to control than a swimming pool. If the Frog does not work I plan to try the hydrogen peroxide system. I really don't want to get rid of the hot tub.

Rolacoy

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:46 pm »
It's refilled and heated to about 95 degrees. The TA is 240+ and the PH is 8.4+. I put about 2 table spoons of HTH reducer. Will a couple of hours of running stabilize what I have put into the water? I mean can I get a reliable reading in two hours?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 09:43:33 pm »
If you have ran the jets to really mix the water then yes it should be OK. Typically I put whatever chemical in and run the jets for a while (10 minutes) to make sure its mixed and has entirely dissolved.

You can soak in the water if you'd like and because its fresh it may not affect your breathing ( kind of like taking a bath) but if the numbers aren't good I wouldn't try to adjust anything if you are going to soak, wait until you're done and continue.

Rolacoy

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:39 pm »
I just got out and it felt soooooooooo good. It bothered me just a very little bit, but I know that the TA and PH are high. I will test them tomorrow and make further adjustments if necessary.

clover

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 03:24:58 pm »
I just got out and it felt soooooooooo good. It bothered me just a very little bit, but I know that the TA and PH are high. I will test them tomorrow and make further adjustments if necessary.
Please allow me to comment once again, pH out of the 7.2 to 7.6 range will cause elements of gas to rise off of the water surface, which is the air you breath.

Adjusting the pH between 7.2 to 7.6 will take only moments adding pH decreaser, but could take a little more time to come to a true reading.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:46 pm »
And, of course, need to get the TA down to the 100 +/- or the pH will continue to drift up.  It will take a lot more pH down to do so.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Rolacoy

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 06:52:26 pm »
The PH has been the battle that I have fought ever since I got the hot tub. I am ready to put the Frog system in the tub tonight. I have had to use a lot of PH reducer, at least a half of a cup. I have been putting it in a lid at a time to keep from going over to low PH. I hope this works.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »
Just so you know with a starting TA of 240 and a PH of 8.4 or more you will need to use a lot of PH minus.

The TA buffers the PH to keep it from swinging around and typically you are shooting for around 100 for the TA.

So the scenario is you put PH minus in the tub, the PH attempts to move down, the TA stops it from moving down, PH stays put and TA is reduced somewhat. But at some point you do start to move the PH down because the TA is out of it's buffering capability. It is also possible for the PH to start going up again because the TA "catches up" with what you are doing and using the jets in the tub will aerate the water and possibly cause the PH to rise.

Others on here who start out with water like yours (high TA) lower the TA to 40 or so and use a product to raise the PH without touching the TA.

Honestly it all sounds complicated but the good news is after you do it once or twice you'll know that you need "4 capfuls" of PH minus to accomplish the task. There was posted a chemical calculator somewhere on here and it can tell you how much of whatever to put in.

Rolacoy

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 08:05:24 pm »
I just checked it and the PH and TA are about right, but I got the bromine high. Bromine will come down and when it  gets about right I will put the Frog in the tub.

Rolacoy

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 10:48:54 am »
It seems that everything is right so in goes the new frog. I set it as per the instructions. My wife and I were in the HT the evening of the 2nd and I was in the HT twice on July 3. Yes, we did shower before we got into the HT. Here are my results:

July 3 8:30 AM
Bromine 2/2
PH 7.4
TA 80
Frog in the water

July 3 8:30 PM
Bromine 1/2
PH 7.2
TA 100

July 4 8 AM
Bromine 0/0
PH 7.2
TA 80
Added teaspoon of bromine
8:30 AM bromine at 5/10

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 10:48:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42