What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Cover from RH Tubs  (Read 6761 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
New Cover from RH Tubs
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »
Well my 2005 Artesian Island Grand Cayman is 9 YO was in desperate need for a new cover. It just kept on getting heavier, the vinyl was cracking and delaminating and I had a couple of things growing in the zipper part and along one of the seams. It probably should have been replaced 3 or so years ago.

I'm not sure if Dr Spa is still part of them since apparently he is retired but the store is still selling Hot Tub stuff; I have bought items from them in the past and people who have bought covers from them in the past have always had god things to say. So I ordered a new cover from RH Tubs ... and here's my critique.

The company that made it is Core Covers, not sure if that's an sister company of RH Tubs or a different company altogether but I guess it doesn't really matter. I ordered the extreme which is the 6" to 4" with a double wrapped core - I figured if my last cover could last reasonably for at least 6 years (for me) then double wrapped could last 10+ years. The cover is very well made, has a pretty nice fit and finish and sits much better then my last cover did even when it was new. The vinyl seems softer and thinner then my last cover but it isn't a cheap feeling vinyl but it isn't as stiff as my last cover (or I should say what I think I remember when it new). I spoke to Theresa and she was excellent on the phone, follow ups and she even emailed me on her day off ... I read another review where that person said customer service was horrible - that was not my experience. I wanted handles in specific locations and Theresa emailed me the CAD drawing, I approved them along with all the other dimensions and I was able to tack the progress of the cover; the cover arrived in about a month.

The only "cons" that I can note is the handle feels flimsier then the last cover. I expected vinyl over nylon webbing and reading the site after getting the cover that's not what it is. The description does state that the handle is reinforced so the difference could be the bulkiness of the old vinyl as the old handles had more thickness to them. And the other con is the way it was delivered - a cardboard box that was banded together and missing at least one band, the box was opening so the cover could have been damaged - but it arrived OK.

So would I buy from them again, I would say yes. The handle is probably going to last the entire life of the cover and all covers would come by freight and the way it leaves the factory may not be the way it arrives at the destination.

Oh, one more thing - when you price out covers and get the 6" to 4" taper, double wrapped core and continuous heat seal, the cover costs a lot less then the competition.

Hot Tub Forum

New Cover from RH Tubs
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: New Cover from RH Tubs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »
Ive had good luck with Roberts also.
Retired

IanHappy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:32:48 am »
My experience with them has been a little disappointing so far; I've been waiting for a quote for 2 weeks now, with no response to my 2 extremely polite requests for an update.

I would still like to give them some business if it's competitive as from what Vinny and others have said you get a good product...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:47:32 am »
Are you ordering something out of the ordinary?

I had printed out the measurements, did my preliminary measurements and picked the color then called it in. Since I wanted handles in a certain location I did need to verify the location via a cad drawing but my quote was given to me the day I called it in. Maybe if you ordered it on line there was a glitch, I have had that happen to me.

IanHappy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
Thanks Vinny, the quote is for shipping as we're outside North America.

I have now had a reply from them apologising for the delay and promising to chase it up so they're back in my good books  :)

Thanks again, glad you're pleased with yours.

Ian :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:05:27 pm »
Hopefully you'll be as pleased with yours as I am with mine, it certainly is a nice cover!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:34 am »
they do make a decent cover...however just because a cover is "thicker" doesn't mean its going to last longer, just means its going to get heavier when it starts taking on water weight

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:44:03 pm »
But it does mean it'll insulate more, and probably be stronger (depending on foam density).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »
they do make a decent cover...however just because a cover is "thicker" doesn't mean its going to last longer, just means its going to get heavier when it starts taking on water weight

I was referring to the double wrapped core ... when I destroyed the cover for the trash it was a taped seam and single layer. I realistically got 6 years although I replaced it at 9 so if the new cover with 2 wraps work the same as the old cover with a single wrap (and I don't know if it will, I am assuming it works that way) I should get at least 10 years from it. Then again I don't know if my tub will last that long as well; although when I just opened it up the framework looked pretty good inside!

IanHappy

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:09:22 pm »
I have now had a reply from them apologising for the delay and promising to chase it up so they're back in my good books

Well unfortunately I never did get another reply, even after one more very polite nudge from me asking for a guesstimate of weight so that I could price up shipping myself.

Is it 'me' ??  :-\

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:07 pm »
Thanks Vinny, the quote is for shipping as we're outside North America.

Where, outside North America?

You could easily be looking at $500, or three times that, just for the shipping cost.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

IanHappy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 10:18:33 am »
UK.

Thanks, that would make it too expensive; it's just that they said they would find out for me and they haven't, and haven't responded when I've asked for updates. I personally don't think that's a very nice way to treat potential customers (even if the likelihood of getting their custom is quite slim); a polite 'sorry but I don't think we can help you on this occasion' would have been way better customer service than ignoring me.

Pers Onal

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:57 am »
IIRC, depending on size a cover can be too large to go FED Ex or UPS.

If so, getting a shipping quote from a broker for an item that must go with multiple handlers may take a while.

It's not like picking up the phone or sending an email to get a quote, which may or may not turn out to be accurate.

You would have ground, surface, ground and multiple countries and possibly companies involved.

I have been involved in several shipments of that nature. They can be surprisingly complex.

Don't know if that is the case, but it could be.

IanHappy

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
Thanks Pers. I do understand it can take a while; RH Tubs first said they would get a quote on 5/28, so it has been 2 months now. Had they replied to any of my messages, perhaps acknowledging them and advising of progress, I would have understood that as well; unfortunately even that hasn't happened.

Anyway, I won't go on about it any longer, and am sorry to hijack Vinny's thread. I suppose the good news is that 2 pay cheques have arrived since I asked for the quote, so we have a little more to put towards a new cover. The corollary is that the old cover has been helping to burn that money for a further 2 months.

Ian :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42