What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Advice please? Down to final 2 tubs!  (Read 15209 times)

mrmojo1111

Advice please? Down to final 2 tubs!
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:49:23 am »
I decided to start a new thread, as the old one took a turn... After extensive research, traveling to numerous dealers in several towns, and the great experience on this forum, we had it narrowed down to the Bullfrog A8, Hot Springs Grandee, and Jacuzzi J495. I tried to schedule wet tests odd all of them, but none of the local dealers had the big tubs filed and available for wet test. So, we ended up testing an A7, a J470, and a Vanguard. We were able to dry test the J495 and Grandee as well. No A8 in stock anywhere.

Initial impressions of the Bullfrog were very positive. My wife and I both fit well in several of the seats, and we absolutely LOVED several of the jet packs, notably the rain shower, gyrossager, and neck masseuse. Unfortunately, the tub surface felt grimy. I assume that is simply a product of poor water care, and not intrinsic to the tub. We were a bit concerned that the layout was less open Ryan we desired. Seemed a bit carved out and tight to me, but I'm sure that would be less of a problem in the bigger A8. All in all very positive impression!

Next on the schedule was Jacuzzi. Their tubs surely make a statement, with the high molded back and double waterfall. The J495 is just huge and spacious! Heading in to the wet tests, it was the clear leader. Well, as they say, that's why they play the games! Although I really wanted to live this one, in the end, even I had to admit it just didn't feel right. My wife couldn't stay in the seats. The hydrotherapy was, to us, obviously inferior to the Bullfrog. I did really like the volcano jet, but in the 470, I had to draw my knees up to my chest to use it, and in the 495, I would have to sit at a slight angle in the corner seats. So, despite early impressions and a dramatic open layout, we eliminated the Jacuzzi from contention! :(

Finally, on to Hot Springs. Our main concern here was whether or not we would like the Moto-massage, and was it big enough. Absolutely love the new NXT cabinet and wireless controller. Layout is nice and open. Hot Springs has an unbeatable reputation for quality and service. We tested a Vanguard, and my wife got in first while I watched the kids. It may have been partially due to the comparison with the Jacuzzi we had just tried, but she really enjoyed this tub. In fact, she didn't want to get out! I was skeptical about the Moto-massage, but after trying it I love it! The dedicated neck jets were awesome as well, and we liked that we could adjust everything independently. There was an area that gave nearly the same effect as the Bullfrog rainshower. All in all very impressive! We all got in a dry Grandee, and the size was more than adequate.

So, it seems our decision will be between Bullfrog and Hot Springs. All things being equal, I am leaning towards the Grandee. However, we got an unbelievable offer from the Bullfrog dealer that would make the A8 3K cheaper than the Grandee. Tough choice. Especially since I've never even seen an A8 in person!

If you have made it this far and are still reading, thanks! Any advice would be appreciated!  One dealer told me the Bullfrog tubs have trouble with mold behind the jet packs. Is this true? Another dealer claimed that Hot Springs were all assembled in Mexico now, and that quality had really gone down hill. Any truth to that?

Hot Tub Forum

Advice please? Down to final 2 tubs!
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:49:23 am »

Chartreux

Re: Advice please? Down to final 2 tubs!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:11:15 pm »
Go to each of these dealers and ask if you put a refundable deposit down, if they then would bring these specific tubs in for you to wet tests. Sundance did say we could put down a refundable deposit down and I'm very seriously considering them, they are my top choice. Have you seen Sundance they make a few more tubs than Jacuzzi, even if Jacuzzi owns them...I'm partial to Sundance and I'm not a dealer in any way....Wet tests the models you want ask if they'd be willing to bring them in for a refundable deposit!

(also, there is someone on here having a problem with their grandee, granted this might be a one time fluke but look at the reviews, something to consider.)

Good luck with your choice it'll be a hard one.  You and your wife should weigh all the pro's and con's you have for each one and put them down on paper.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »
  Both good choices, the B,frog has some nice features that the HS does not but the HS is a really nice spa.    Price difference is up to you.    The A8 is a really comfortable spa then having the jet packs to choose from has it's advantages..   Dealer of course makes the difference as well.

Sorry you didn't like the Jacuzzi, personally I would have put you into the J-385 instead of the J-470.     Oh well can't win them all, I think sometimes dealers just don't accommodate the customer it fitting them to the right spa.. 

mrmojo1111

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »
Jim, why do you think we would like the 385 better? Jay curious as we didn't really look at that model at all. In Defense if the dealer, I went in specifically for the 495.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »
  I think it fits people different from a depth standpoint,  question would be did they even have a 385 on the floor?   I love the J-470 but we sell way more 300 series spa's, I think it's more functional than the J-470..   Sorry if I threw a monkey in the wrench..

Bullfrog Spas Support

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:58:12 pm »

Initial impressions of the Bullfrog were very positive. My wife and I both fit well in several of the seats, and we absolutely LOVED several of the jet packs, notably the rain shower, gyrossager, and neck masseuse. Unfortunately, the tub surface felt grimy. I assume that is simply a product of poor water care, and not intrinsic to the tub. We were a bit concerned that the layout was less open Ryan we desired. Seemed a bit carved out and tight to me, but I'm sure that would be less of a problem in the bigger A8. All in all very positive impression!

If you have made it this far and are still reading, thanks! Any advice would be appreciated!  One dealer told me the Bullfrog tubs have trouble with mold behind the jet packs. Is this true? Another dealer claimed that Hot Springs were all assembled in Mexico now, and that quality had really gone down hill. Any truth to that?

Hi Mrmojo,

We're excited that you're considering a Bullfrog Spa. I just wanted to answer and clarify your questions.

First, you are right, with the new JetPak Therapy System the hydrotherapy is incredible, and since it's a more efficient plumbing system you can leave all the jets on at once and still experience great power throughout the spa. And yes, you are correct, the A8 is a very open layout with ample space.

Second, it's a common myth about Bullfrog Spas that mold or slime will form behind JetPaks. Openly, this was not a consideration in the original design in the mid 90s and it did occasionally happen back then in spas that didn't get much use. However, this was easily solved well over a decade ago with the use of circulation jets that circulate all the water around the JetPak. It is no longer an issue we hear about here even though it seems to be a favorite topic amongst competitors trying to influence your purchase decision. Here's a quick picture of a JetPak and how this works:

Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions on this. We can chat through a private message.

All the best,

Jake
Bullfrog Spas

mrmojo1111

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 02:20:08 pm »
Thanks Jake and Jim! Looking at the 385, I just think it is a bit too small.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »

Finally, on to Hot Springs. Our main concern here was whether or not we would like the Moto-massage, and was it big enough. Absolutely love the new NXT cabinet and wireless controller. Layout is nice and open. Hot Springs has an unbeatable reputation for quality and service. We tested a Vanguard, and my wife got in first while I watched the kids. It may have been partially due to the comparison with the Jacuzzi we had just tried, but she really enjoyed this tub. In fact, she didn't want to get out! I was skeptical about the Moto-massage, but after trying it I love it! The dedicated neck jets were awesome as well, and we liked that we could adjust everything independently. There was an area that gave nearly the same effect as the Bullfrog rainshower. All in all very impressive! We all got in a dry Grandee, and the size was more than adequate.

So, it seems our decision will be between Bullfrog and Hot Springs. All things being equal, I am leaning towards the Grandee. However, we got an unbelievable offer from the Bullfrog dealer that would make the A8 3K cheaper than the Grandee. Tough choice. Especially since I've never even seen an A8 in person!

I'm glad you loved the moto and kudos for taking the time to wet test. So many times on this site we hear about someone really liking a particular tub and then wet testing and finding it wasn't what they were expecting. BTW the Hot Spring Highlife line is built in Vista, California as is the new Highlife NXT line where the quality continues to be top notch and anything but "down hill" so whoever is telling you that is stating falsehoods.

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 07:17:07 pm »

Finally, on to Hot Springs. Our main concern here was whether or not we would like the Moto-massage, and was it big enough. Absolutely love the new NXT cabinet and wireless controller. Layout is nice and open. Hot Springs has an unbeatable reputation for quality and service. We tested a Vanguard, and my wife got in first while I watched the kids. It may have been partially due to the comparison with the Jacuzzi we had just tried, but she really enjoyed this tub. In fact, she didn't want to get out! I was skeptical about the Moto-massage, but after trying it I love it! The dedicated neck jets were awesome as well, and we liked that we could adjust everything independently.

I'm glad you loved the moto and kudos for taking the time to wet test. So many times on this site we hear about someone really liking a particular tub and then wet testing and finding it wasn't what they were expecting. BTW the Hot Spring Highlife line is built in Vista, California as is the new Highlife NXT line where the quality continues to be top notch and anything but "down hill" so whoever is telling you that is stating falsehoods.

I have been to the Hot Springs Factory in Vista California personally and had the factory tour...What a treat to see the way tubs are made...BIG operation! As stated by ACE..The Highlife and NXT's is in fact made in Vista California. Just keeping it straight. This may matter to some people but not all.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:40 pm »
Get a baby sitter and go sit in each as they are closing on a their slowest week day. Take your time and decide after.
Retired

dunecritter

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:51:49 pm »
If you can live with either and want your very best price...Whip out the check book and make sure he sees it...Have a pen in hand and play ball! Otherwise he/she has no real incentive to get to the very best deal possible. But be prepared to purchase if he accepts or comes to bat! Trust me...A seasoned sales guy recognizes a bird in the hand! You are already a bee back and showed true interest.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:53:25 pm by dunecritter »

meriflower

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
You really can't go wrong with either Bullfrog and Hot Spring and it is a hard decision - it was for us.  It came down to Bullfrog and Hot Spring and we did decide on the Bullfrog because we can change the jetpaks when/if our therapy needs change.  Plus the fact there are less holes needed in the shell.  We have had our R6L up and running problem free since January of this year and we are still in love with it.  I'm sure if we would have bought Hot Spring instead we would be happy with that too - love the moto massage!  Both are great spas, just wet test and take your time, as said you can't go wrong with either one.  Also both spas are made in the USA which was also important to us.

girlinhotwater

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »
I have a HS Envoy and love it. Take the extra $3,000 difference and divide it by ten years, 15 years, etc. When you do the math it's really not such a big deal to get the grandee that you test soaked and fell in love with. Just saying....life's  too darn short so go for it, make your deal and enjoy :)

Quickbeam

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 09:07:02 pm »
I have a HS Envoy and love it. Take the extra $3,000 difference and divide it by ten years, 15 years, etc. When you do the math it's really not such a big deal to get the grandee that you test soaked and fell in love with. Just saying....life's  too darn short so go for it, make your deal and enjoy :)

+1 - I'm sure they are both great tubs. I would not however let the $3,000 difference be the deciding factor. Get the one you and your family like best. If you don't, you'll always wonder what you could have had. Life's too short for that.

gdm783

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 07:26:49 am »
Mrmojo- Can I ask what you were quoted for the A8?  I am in the market for one and am curious what pricing I should expect.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 07:26:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42