What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Synthetic Cabinets - do they hold up to UV?  (Read 4487 times)

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
Synthetic Cabinets - do they hold up to UV?
« on: June 22, 2004, 11:44:40 am »
In most parts of the country, it wouldn't be much of a question.  But I'm in Arizona, which appears to be the UV and solar-degradation-of-plastic capitol of the western hemisphere.

Has anyone had a synthetic cabinet for several years yet?

Hot Tub Forum

Synthetic Cabinets - do they hold up to UV?
« on: June 22, 2004, 11:44:40 am »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
Re: Synthetic Cabinets - do they hold up to UV?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 12:08:40 pm »
Great question!
I wish I could answer it. Coleman Spas has only been using duramax (maintence free) sides for a short time.
I've seen no weathering thus far. but will admit to living in a state that is the weather opposite of arizona (North Dakata)
Duramax does seem to hold up to our winters which can dip to -40 and last a long long time.
Hopefully you'll get a host of a answers on this subject. I wonder which spa company has used it the longest, and what results they've had.

Spahappy

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 12:22:53 pm »
Several years near the beach - no problems.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ZNICK

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 12:32:19 am »
I've never had a complaint about ours either... the exact same material is available for decking as well.  

We even let our customers know where they can get it, so they can have a deck built that matches their tub EXACTLY.  

Our cabinet panels (Thermospas) are reversable as well, so if after 50-60 years  ;D one started to fade you would simply remove it, flip it over, and finish out the century!

Z

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 03:28:44 pm »
One of our best clients is the company that invented this type of material and is the largest manufacturer of it in the world.  The material is made of a mixture of wood flour mixed with plastic resins and binders that are then extruded to form the sheets.  This stuff is durable, stable, and very enviro friendly in that it uses mostly waste material (i.e. saw dust from mills) that would otherwise be thrown away.

By the time it is shot, you will be ready for a new tub anyway.

Regards,

Bill

saz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 03:39:50 pm »
We're looking to buy a marquis reward with plastic/fake wood/maintenance free/whatever you wanna call it ...  sides. I never even considered 'solar-degradation-of-plastic ' ! We live on the North East coast of the UK, so I'm pleased to see that all the threads on here seem to say that no one has had any probs with this, especially living so close to the beach.
saz

Gerrym

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 05:19:14 am »
We're looking to buy a marquis reward with plastic/fake wood/maintenance free/whatever you wanna call it ...  sides. I never even considered 'solar-degradation-of-plastic ' ! We live on the North East coast of the UK, so I'm pleased to see that all the threads on here seem to say that no one has had any probs with this, especially living so close to the beach.
saz

Saz, you will be o.k.  you never see the sun up there !!  (duckin')

saz

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 08:09:18 am »
yeah yeah, whatever :)   you're only jealous cos we'll be able to use our tub in the snow sooner than you ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 08:09:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42