What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need help on purchasing used hot tub  (Read 7664 times)

MissViv

Need help on purchasing used hot tub
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:11 pm »
We have been looking at new and used hot tubs.  Most of the used ones we have looked at are pretty shabby - $400-500 range.  We were looking at new ones at the Local Spa Store and we got to talking about used tubs.  He mentioned that he had been contacted by a couple who wanted to sell their used tub but didn't want the hassle of listing and having people calling them and coming to their house but maybe he could find them a buyer.  Well .. he said the hot tub was a Hot Springs Grande about 5 years old and they bought it new.

We looked at it last night ... it was empty and has not been used for two years.  It is a BIG tub - larger than we need, it is just the 2 of us, and according to the serial number, the tub is a 2001 and is actually a Hot Springs Vista.  It is in pretty good condition, I don't think they really used it a lot (is that good or bad)??  Anyway, to make a long story short, they are going to fill it up and we are going back to see it tomorrow night.  It comes with the cover and a lift for the cover (both in good shape) and the steps.  They are asking $2,000 but I think that's a lot to pay for a 12 year told tub.  We are thinking about offering them $1,500. if we like what we see when it is up and running.

The guy from the Spa Store is going to meet us there tomorrow night since he has been selling hot tubs for over 20 years and used to have a Hot Springs Tub.  He knows what problems to look for in this model and has even called CA to talk to customer support.  He is the one who got the serial number off the unit and found out it was a 2001 model.

What would be a good price for this hot tub? 

Hot Tub Forum

Need help on purchasing used hot tub
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:11 pm »

Isaac-1

Re: Need help on purchasing used hot tub
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:43:42 pm »
Price is going to depend on condition and how it was maintained, in general I would think $2,000 is high unless it has been indoors its whole life, etc.  One good point is that being a 2001 model this will have the modern IQ-2020 control system that went virtually unchanged until about 2008.

MissViv

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »
They have kept it on a covered patio right next to their house.  The sales rep said the main thing he is concerned about is, did they winterize it properly when it was last drained since it has been sitting empty for two years.  That's why we want to see it running and check for any leaks.  It physically looks to be in great shape - clean, etc.  The only negative about looks is that it is "blue".  The owners said everything was working properly when last used.  It does have the "Moto-Massage" on the lounger.

MissViv

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:27:05 am »
Any other comments from anyone else?  I am going to take my camera and get some pics tonight.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:18 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Quick thoughts - HS Grandee- lots of good history, good brand, but as you said, its just the two of you.  I've owned a tub for about 12 years now and our 2nd tub was quite a bit smaller than the first one. Is the cover in good condition?  That's a big cover for two people to wrestle with getting in and out on a cold night. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dunecritter

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:08 am »
If the tub checks out with a clean bill of health after inspection and you have room for a large tub like that...Then I would think $2000 would be fair and if he took less even better for you. Owning a large tub has a lot of benefits over owning a small tub for the simple fact that you are never "cramped " for space and rubbing knees unnecessarily with someone that you might not want to! Being able to move from one seat to 3 or 4 other seats for different massage options without asking someone to move or play contortionist games to do so is also a plus. The maintenance is really nothing more than any other sized hot tub and even though it has 5 filters you really only need to maintain the one 24/7 circulation filter more often and just rinse the other 4 filters every other filter cleaning. As far as the large cover....If it has the Patented "Cover Cradle" its a one handed operation even for your wife...But if it has a basic cover lifter it could be a bit of a hassle as its a big cover. If it checks out good...I  say go for it! I've owned a Vista model for 7 years and loved it the whole time.. I now own a Grandee but just the same.

MissViv

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
The cover is in great shape and can be lifted by one person.  The female owner says she would lift it by herself all the time.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:02:23 pm »
 1500.00 is reasonable if it's in good shape.   Not great that it's been sitting empty for 2 years, hope it runs for you, as far as leaking it may not show itself till the spa has been running for awhile unless it's in the equipment area..

Sam

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »
1500.00 is reasonable if it's in good shape.   Not great that it's been sitting empty for 2 years, hope it runs for you, as far as leaking it may not show itself till the spa has been running for awhile unless it's in the equipment area..

Agree with this post.  Since they are going to fill it, I would also request that they add a system flush before draining it again to clean all of the gunk out of the pipes.  Your sales guy should have something that he can bring when you view it.  Nasty stuff grows in there and it has been sitting for 2 years.

MissViv

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:31:09 am »
Well, we looked at it and it looks great.  They will not budge from the price of $2,000.00 and it does need some replaced parts.  The moto-massage no longer works and needs to be replaced ($199.)  One of the plastic things the filter sits on is broken (5 filters).  There is a dial on the side that is leaking water around it when you turn the massage on ($16. part).    The dream jet pillow (bladder) in the lounger needs replacing (not sure of cost).  Wish we had thought of the system flush thing.  It will cost us $400. to move it, the guy will get a boom truck.  It's a BIG tub and weighs 1100 pounds empty.

I took some pictures, how do I post them?

Topline Mike

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:13 am »
You are in the drivers seat, not them.  If the tub was 100% and ready to go, it sounds like a decent deal, but it's not.  Tell them to have the tub curbside so you can pick it up.  It's not your problem to get it out of their backyard. 

Is your future tub location ready to go?  This could cost you another $2000 to get it set up.  Electrician costs can add up real fast.  I'm not trying to scare you, just make you aware of reality.  Just the parts alone for my tub was around $250, and my service was only 25ft from the tub. 

For uploading pictures here, I use photobucket.  It's free to use.  Create an account, then hit "upload", and load the pictures you want.  After that, you left click once in the IMG location on the right side of the screen.  It will say "copied" when you do this.  Then, when loading a picture here, you just paste it in this area that you reply in.  See pic below of what the screen looks like. 

dunecritter

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:47 am »
I agree with Toplinemike...Its not 100%...That's bargaining room and I would pass if they don't negotiate on those grounds. The tub needs some work and they expect you to pay xtra high removal costs because a crane is needed...That's no longer a good deal in my opinion. Its an OLD tub...Granted a very good one but its still OLD. 2001 = 13 years old...a lot of issues might be lurking right around the corner and since its been dry so long it might possibly acquire a leak or two that wont be noticeable for a week or so after its initial refill up. The price needs to reflect these issues...I think their crazy thinking they can hold firm to the asking price now that you've seen it in operation and discovered these issues. Good luck in your decision.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »
Tell them to have the tub curbside so you can pick it up.  It's not your problem to get it out of their backyard. 

I'm not sure I understand.  Are the current owners paying for the crane?  If so, let them move it to a readily available spot for you to get to.   The tub needs parts and has been sitting empty for a while.   If it was running and you could verify it was not leaking and if all parts were working, 2K might be worth it.  But that is not the case here.  Are you guys do-it-your-selfers?   If not, we are talking about a bit of work here.  And, as pointed out by Mike, the electric set up on your end will not be cheap. 
Good luck with your decision.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »
 Pass on it!   

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »
Pass on it!

Sometimes you just can't agree on pricing with used spas because the owner isn't realistic/informed on the spas value. You could give them your phone number so that if reality sinks in they could call you and see if you're still interested (at your price) because they won't get $2k for it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42