What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High pH level  (Read 4413 times)

MarkBuller

High pH level
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »
Hey guys, so a few weeks back I switched from chlorine to bromine after many advised me of its better performance and low odor.  But a few days after this I found that the pH level of my pool has increased and it has been high ever sine. The water is still clear only the pH has increased. Is this due to the switch to bromine.? Advises please, and thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

High pH level
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »

chem geek

Re: High pH level
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:21 am »
You said pool, but did you mean spa?

What kind of chlorine were you using before and what other chemicals if any were you using.  Now that you are using bromine, how are you using it -- what chemicals are you using?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:13:14 am »
Ive found Bromine to have lower performance and higher odor. Weird how people advise the opposite. I have also found that Bromine drives down the PH and TA in my source water.
Retired

MarkBuller

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the fast response. Its a spa sorry for my mistake. And I am using bromine tablets to sanitize my spa. I don't use any other chemicals in my spa. As for the odor, I felt that bromine causes less odor than chlorine. But the only thing that is troubling me is the alkaline content. Is there any other spa chemical or product that can be used to correct this in your opinion ?

chem geek

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:56:49 am »
If your Total Alkalinity (TA) is dropping, you can use some baking soda to raise it, but I'd suggest letting it drop lower, but not below 50 ppm, and see if the pH doesn't rise as quickly.  You can also use 50 ppm Borates (from boric acid which you can get at DudaDiesel or The Chemistry Store) which can slow down the rate of pH rise.

When you were using chlorine, were using any non-chlorine shock (MPS) in addition to Dichlor?  That might explain the pH difference.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
hmmmmmmmmm, do we have a new innovative spammer (a link to another website that doesn't even list any chemicals for sale)?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42