What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Icicles in the corner of a new HS Grande  (Read 5817 times)

JRunner01

Icicles in the corner of a new HS Grande
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

Hi All...

I did some searching first on this forum and found that there are people experiencing the same issue as me with icicles in the corner of the tub coming from under the cover on all different brands of tubs, so I assume this is somewhat 'normal'.

I have tried tightening down the straps on all 4 corners, so much so that you can see it pulling on the fabric of the cover.  This however hasn't helped.  It is only happening in 1 corner on my tub, the corner that I believe is the low point in my SLIGHTLY un level spa.  I was thinking this makes sense as condensation on the underside of the cover is probably draining to this corner, meeting the shell lip and coming out from under the cover corner to the cold temps.  Hence if the spa was 100% level, perhaps I'd get this issue in all 4 corners or some other combination.

Can anyone give any input if this is acceptable as I have come to read in the searches I've done here?

Thanks in advance...

Hot Tub Forum

« on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Icicles in the corner of a new HS Grande
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »
Get yourself a floating thermal blanket for on the waters surface and you won't have those. It is quite normal for some condensation to leak out from under the cover, meet the cold air and freeze.
Retired

girlinhotwater

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:09 pm »
I have had this a few times with my HS Envoy this winter, but only in the center of the cover where the folding seams meet. I don't lock down the cover in the winter due to freezing rain and snow, if I were to click in the corners odds are I would break the clips when I wanted to use the spa or add chemicals etc. It's nothing to stress about it's normal. Just be gentle when opening your cover so that you don't tear it where it could be frozen.

clover

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »
USER ERROR is the most common cause of this problem.

All hot tubs have air venturri's that allow air to be drawn in to the jet stream mixing with water.  When you get out of the tub, BE SURE THEY ARE CLOSED.  If you ignore them as many people do, they continue to inject air.  The air pressure will then build until it is force out by volume accumulated.  It has no place to go other than to be exhausted at the weakest point venting out the corners and seams of the cover. 

Close the venturri's to shut off the air.  Leave them on, AND air cools the water.  The warm humid air accumulates to escape and condenses in the cold air causing evaporation while forming icicles.

While Tman has a good idea, just what do you do with a floating cover while you are using the hot tub?  If you lay it down it will spot freeze to the deck and tear.  Best option would be to roll it up and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket like a stove pipe.

Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »
We used to hang ours over the regular cover. Yes it folded in 2 and froze but when you set it back on the hot water it is thawed in 2 seconds.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:32:39 pm »
We used to hang ours over the regular cover. Yes it folded in 2 and froze but when you set it back on the hot water it is thawed in 2 seconds.

That has always worked for me, as well.

JRunner01

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:09 pm »
USER ERROR is the most common cause of this problem.

All hot tubs have air venturri's that allow air to be drawn in to the jet stream mixing with water.  When you get out of the tub, BE SURE THEY ARE CLOSED.  If you ignore them as many people do, they continue to inject air.  The air pressure will then build until it is force out by volume accumulated.  It has no place to go other than to be exhausted at the weakest point venting out the corners and seams of the cover. 

Close the venturri's to shut off the air.  Leave them on, AND air cools the water.  The warm humid air accumulates to escape and condenses in the cold air causing evaporation while forming icicles.

While Tman has a good idea, just what do you do with a floating cover while you are using the hot tub?  If you lay it down it will spot freeze to the deck and tear.  Best option would be to roll it up and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket like a stove pipe.

I always close my knobs before shutting down the pumps, so they are all in the off positions before turning the Jets off.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:38:40 am »
A new HS Grandee only runs the jet pumps when you turn them on manually. There is no filter cycle to program.

It also came factory equipped with an ozone system which adds some air to the tub 24/7.

It this is a problem, I suppose you could unplug the ozone generator from the mother board to shut it off - you do NOT want to leave it powered without air going through it - and then cap the air line to stop the little bubbles coming up from the floor.

You will have to increase your chlorine a bit to make up for it, but that should stop the airflow and kill the icicles.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JRunner01

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:13 am »
A new HS Grandee only runs the jet pumps when you turn them on manually. There is no filter cycle to program.

It also came factory equipped with an ozone system which adds some air to the tub 24/7.

It this is a problem, I suppose you could unplug the ozone generator from the mother board to shut it off - you do NOT want to leave it powered without air going through it - and then cap the air line to stop the little bubbles coming up from the floor.

You will have to increase your chlorine a bit to make up for it, but that should stop the airflow and kill the icicles.

HTH

8)

My tub is running ACE, so I think your point doesn't apply right?

kporter

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:16:14 am »
If you have ACE then your Ozonator should have been pulled out during ACE installation.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:16:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42