What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Manufacturers, Inc.  (Read 16313 times)

Ryan VSO

Re: Spa Manufacturers, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 11:50:21 am »
I love you tman !

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 11:50:21 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 04:26:03 pm »
I could kiss and makeup with you VSC but you will need to learn some respect. I mean shake hands and pat on the shoulder!!
Retired

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 07:14:12 am »
Another thing to look at is "where most or all of the spa is made". If made in China, well then you know what kind of quality or the lack of, you'll be dealing with from that point on. My advice is to buy local! I'm neither a dealer nor a service tech. I'm just a consumer, but it sure is nice being able to call or run by my local Hot Spring dealer where I bought my Envoy, get called by name, and get questions or concerns dealt with on a personal basis. That's worth the few extra dollars I may have paid to buy local. This is my opinion and your mileage may vary.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 08:57:52 am »
I call that warm and fuzzys. Some people need more than others and are willing to pay for them. VSC is looking for those that don't need them. There out there.
Retired

spalifer

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:36:04 pm »
Stick to the "Major" manufactures... a good way to tell which ones they are is to ask if they are, "a consumers digest best buy?"  This is a purchased award, but the big players that can afford to buy the award, can afford to service their product.

Sam

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 03:37:33 pm »
Stick to the "Major" manufactures... a good way to tell which ones they are is to ask if they are, "a consumers digest best buy?"  This is a purchased award, but the big players that can afford to buy the award, can afford to service their product.

This seems kind of silly.........Pick a manufacturer that purchases an award and advertises that they won that award?  I am glad you posted though, "consumer's digest" is not "consumer reports".  Consumer's digest is bought and paid for by manufacturers and they assume people will think that it is the same as consumer reports.  Pretty shady.

Sam

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 03:43:04 pm »
Here's a good article

The same can not be said for its doppelganger, Consumers Digest. Like CR, CD puts out a regular report with “best buy” recommendations of certain vehicles. Like CR, the CD publication runs no advertising, but instead of relying on consumer subscriptions, CD has a very different source of revenue: licensing its awards for advertising purposes. As an example, the WSJ points out that GM received no fewer than 15 CD “Best Buy” awards, and GM has paid the magazine to use those ads in its marketing and advertising efforts. Though GM refused to reveal how much it paid CD to license its 2010 awards, but CD says the traditional fee is $35k for the first award and $25k for each award thereafter.

Of course, CD swears that this troubling business model in no way affects the decision to award “Best Buy” kudos to a given manufacturer. Editor Rich Dzierwa tells the WSJ that there is

no pressure on the editorial staff to consider products, to consider vehicles because either they have been licensees or because there is a possibility that they will be. Licensing comes after our review process

Of course there’s evidence that this isn’t the whole story, namely that CD’s award page lists all winners of its “Best Buy” award but only offers links with further information for models that have paid CD licensing fees.

Not that GM is sweating the appearance of being the major benefactor of an award mill. GM executive director of marketing Paul Edwards tells the WSJ:

We had done some research in terms of what resonates [with consumers] and what doesn’t, and Consumers Digest scores near the top

Now, why would that be? Would it be because Consumers Digest is widely available and read by millions? Not likely, considering the WSJ’s revelation that CD

has no subscribers, runs no ads and is only available in certain bookstores and retail shops

Could this under-earned “resonance with consumers” have something to do with the fact that the name “Consumers Digest” sounds incredibly similar to the name “Consumer Reports,” possibly the best-known source of reliability and quality data in the country? There sure isn’t an overabundance of alternate explanations.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/05/the-truth-about-consumers-digest/

Darzmr

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »
I was extremely impressed with the  Caldera Martinique only because of its Consumer Digest's "Best Buy" award.  Hadn't heard of CD, so I googled and found the same info Sam posted.  Poof went the bulk of my interest in that model (along w/the fact I couldn't wet test it).  But, yes, I was impressed by the "award" - initially.  I'm sure lots of buyers are taken in by these paid awards.

FL Person

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:23 pm »
First post and BUMPING an old thread:

Seems no one in this thread had any comment as of yet on Spa Manufacturers on Ulmerton Rd in Clearwater, FL.  I just stopped in and spoke with a salesman.  He talked a good game but I'm very early into my research, so I have much to learn.  The spa I looked at (OctaRound?) was quoted at around $4700 with a 20 year warranty on the tub and 10 years on the pump.  The enclosure is cedar.  They are acrylic and manufactured right there at their sales facility.

Just wondering, as was the OP, if anyone has any personal experience with a tub from Spa Manufacturers in Clearwater, FL?

TIA.

FL Person
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:13:18 am by FL Person »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:39 pm »
Look for a spa that is pleasing to the eyes with smooth lines and tight fit and finish. A "lip over" design helps protect the cabinet and makes for a better sealing area under the lip of the spa. (the acrylic lip of the tub hides the top of the cabinet boards/panels) And it looks better. Have the sales team take off the equipment panel and look inside. Is it messy/cluttered/poorly insulated? Turn it on all speeds, all jets and any air. Listen to it, what does it sound like? Then if you can get in it and feel it. Does it make you itch or does it feel good and comfortable? You wouldn't buy a car and not drive it. Get a minimum of 5 years plumbing and lifetime (7years) shell/frame. And enjoy. 5-6 grand is tough, you have to look hard and you have to compromise on bling/longevity/insulation/size. 7-9 grand is more realistic for a 5-6 person tub.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
First post and BUMPING an old thread:

Seems no one in this thread had any comment as of yet on Spa Manufacturers on Ulmerton Rd in Clearwater, FL.  I just stopped in and spoke with a salesman.  He talked a good game but I'm very early into my research, so I have much to learn.  The spa I looked at (OctoRound?) was quoted at around $4700 with a 20 year warranty on the tub and 10 years on the pump.  The enclosure is cedar.  They are acrylic and manufactured right there at their sales facility.

Just wondering, as was the OP, if anyone has any personal experience with a tub from Spa Manufacturers in Clearwater, FL?

TIA.

FL Person

I bet you that warranty is prorated.

FL Person

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15:38 am »
I bet you that warranty is prorated.

It might very well be.  I'll ask to see the fine print.

No one reading this thread has owned a spa from Spa Manufactures, Inc. in Clearwater, FL?

FL Person
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:28:03 pm by FL Person »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »
Never owned one, saw/repaired hundreds like it.
Retired

FL Person

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 08:20:36 pm »
Never owned one, saw/repaired hundreds like it.

Are you implying that their spa's have reliability/quality issues?  Just trying to get educated. 

Thanks.

FL Person

pinhead

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:38 pm »
I live in the Tampa area and looked at their spa. The company has been in business a very long time and I suspect they build a quality product, the price seemed reasonable. Ultimately I chose to spend a little more money and selected the Bullfrog A7L. While the Spa Manufacturer spa was nice it appeared dated, kind of like older technology. There is a difference between good price and good value, for me the BF was an easy decision and I’m very happy with it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42