What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HotSpring Vanguard leaking  (Read 8285 times)

vanguard2005

HotSpring Vanguard leaking
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:48 pm »
greetings to all, from a newbie with a problem spa.
My 2005 HotSpring Vanguard Spa has started to drip again from the corner, to the right of the equipment door.  The leak is not in the service door area.  The pump, heater and other tubing there is dry.  Along with the leak, there is a gurgling sound from the air inlet in that lower right corner.  I guess the water is puddleing in that tube, before dripping out.  The spa will leak until about 1/2 full, then stop.
I had this same leak a year ago.  At that time I emptied, jacked it up on 5 sets of two cinder blocks each set.  4 corners and center.  I dug into some of the foam at that corner, but didn't go too far.  About 10 inches.  Didn't find any leak.  Decided to fill it while on the blocks to see the leak, but now it didn't leak.  After a few days of no leak, emptied again and lowered it back down.  Refilled and had no leak for a year.  Strange that it has started again.  Same drip, drip drip.
I would like to repair this myself, but have a couple of questions.
Is there some check valve that might cause a siphoning of water?
If I have to dig into the full foam insulation, can I remove side panels or do I need to get at it from underneath (jacked up on cinder blocks)?
I was previously told that HotSpring technicians would put it on its side to do this.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Richard

Hot Tub Forum

HotSpring Vanguard leaking
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:48 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HotSpring Vanguard leaking
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:57:30 am »
Good news. I believe this tub just needs a "Hartford Loop" installed. There is a plastic shuttle valve that was designed to open and close by pump pressure. It would allow air into the jets when the pump was on, and then close by an internal spring when the pump shut off. They didn't give good service at all. Go to your dealer and get part number 72701. It comes with all the parts you need, and a very good set of instructions for you to install it yourself. All the work is done in the motor compartment, NO DIGGING!! Look for the valve pictured below, yours may be black or white:

It gets replaced with this combination of parts, and the small 1/4" tube gets capped with the part included in the kit. The new kit you get may not have this cool piece of tubing with the curves all formed into it. The kits I have on my shelf all have a simple loop instead, but they work just as well.

HTH

8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:02:27 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

vanguard2005

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:14 am »
Chas,
Thank you very much for the advice.
That will be great, if that fixes this drip.
I'll be going to my HotSpring dealer today to get that part and will report back.
What a relief to hear of an easy fix like this.
Richard :)

vanguard2005

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:57:54 am »
 :) :D
Chas,
Thanks very much for the advice.
I bought the kit locally and installed it yesterday.
HOORAY!!!  That fixed the drip/leak!
I wish that I had checked with you before I did the previous, difficult, futile work on it.
This install still was a bit difficult, but far easier than up-ending the tub and digging out foam.
I took down the control box and heated the 3/4" vinyl tubing to make it easier to install the fittings.
Everything is running well now, but another roadblock occurred after the tubing installation.  The ground fault circuit breaker for the pump section was immediately snapping off.  Pulled the wires at the control box.  Still popped.  Pulled the wires from the breaker.  Still popped.  It has been rainy lately, so I figured the breaker might be damp inside.  No visible moisture on its outside.  Heated it with a heat gun for maybe three minutes and now it works normally.
Put it all back together, the tub is like new again and hopefully will stay that way.
Thanks again,
Richard

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
SO glad to hear how it all came out!

Merry Christmas.

8)

njwiley

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:54:55 am »
Could somebody describe where the problem valve that the Hartford Loop replaces is located? And what year did Hot Springs correct the issue? I'm trying to figure out if this could be the issue with my 2011 Vanguard.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:53:23 am »
Good news/ bad news. They only used the shuttle valve for a couple of years: basically 2001 and 2002. Actually only part of 2002. So your 2011 Vanguard tub will not have one. It should have the Hartford loop already installed, but it will be a simple loop of 3/4" tubing and the 3/4" check valve pictured in the Hartford kit, above. Find that air check valve and see if the clamps show signs of rust. If so, the valve may have a crack in it. They are cheap, and not tough to install, but on some models they are awkward to reach. Sometimes they crack as you are trying to pull them out, so be patient.

HTH

8)

ajbrooks1

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »
Hey guys, so I am having trouble locating this valve. It is almost doing the exact same thing as stated.

I did notice however, that when the pump is shut off, the leak stops. But once power comes back on, it begins shortly. Any help?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42