What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Same question everyone asks - what hottub should I buy?  (Read 6442 times)

nosebreaker

Same question everyone asks - what hottub should I buy?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:08 pm »
So I've been doing loads of research, and whenever I think I've found an answer, I find something that contradicts it!

I'm looking for a tub that will be at my vacation ski house.  I plan to rent it out during the winter, and expect visitors to use and abuse it a bit.

I'd like something:
  • 6-person, lounger or not is fine, 2-motors (50A 220V max)
  • Low Maintenance (I won't be around to check it, but I can have a company adjust chemicals for $25/week), perhaps something that automatically adjusts chemicals (if such a thing exists)
  • Low Cost to run and well insulated (auto-temp adjustment or some remote control over internet for it would be nice)
  • Good Filter system, do those light systems work
  • No speakers (apparently first thing to break)

Suggestions or things I definitely don't want?

Hot Tub Forum

Same question everyone asks - what hottub should I buy?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:08 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Same question everyone asks - what hottub should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:37 am »
Welcome to the forum!   I would think low cost to run would be high on the list.   I would think after skiing for hours, hot water is the main emphasis not the therapy so I might avoid tubs with 454 jets and water features.    I guess my next question is what's available in your area?

Corrected typo.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:19:31 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nosebreaker

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:01:17 am »
Nothing anywhere near the ski resort, I was going to have it shipped no matter what, so I might as well get whatever is "best" for me.

A local (to me, not the ski place) dealer is pushing a floor model they have, thoughts on that?  Its $3k but other than that I can't see why its the best one they think for me.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:08 am »
Sounds like its more the best one for him to sell  ;D.    Based on what you said, a 6 person tub around 3k is not going to be a well built energy efficient one.  If your having it shipped, stop in and take a look and see what really does suit you.   What type of dealers are in your local area?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:25:27 pm »

A local (to me, not the ski place) dealer is pushing a floor model they have, thoughts on that?  Its $3k but other than that I can't see why its the best one they think for me.

Thoughts? ......ummmm, based on what you've told us about it, the only "thoughts" could possibly be....it's $3k

Care to share anything else about it? Brand? Model? Year? Anything else?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

nosebreaker

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »
I'm not really considering that $3k tub just because he was pushing it.

As far as comfort goes, I'm only going to use it maybe 2 or 3 times per year, so it doesn't really matter to me.  Its just if I want to rent my place people expect a hottub, so I will get one for guests and renters.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »
I think the doc wants to give you his opinion on the 3K tub, but you don't seem to want to give enough information on that tub for him to do so. Make, model, size, etc.......
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

nosebreaker

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:08 pm »
Because I don't know anything about it, it didn't have a brand or anything, and the guy didn't send me info on it (it was over a week ago).

What do you feel I should get (brand/features/etc)?  What is your opinion I mean.

mjb

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »
If you have a Nordic Hot Tubs dealer in your area check them out.
They have a dealer locator on their website.
We deliver quite a few to rental cabins in the Hocking Hills area
just outside of Columbus, Ohio.
They seem to withstand the rigors of renters and are affordable.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:08:50 pm »
I would also say nordic, they seem to take abuse well.  Every year we sell a couple to rental homes on the islands off of Massachusetts and very rarely do we get called in for a warranty call on one of these

Sam

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 01:51:00 pm »
There is a brand called Tuff Spas that are great for ski area rentals.  They are very basic, very durable, and very energy efficient.  They come with a hard top cover that will last forever.

MarKee

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »
I would check out dealers in your area for some of the top spa manufacturers:  Marquis, HotSpring, Dimension One, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Caldera

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:25 am »
I would also say nordic, they seem to take abuse well.  Every year we sell a couple to rental homes on the islands off of Massachusetts and very rarely do we get called in for a warranty call on one of these

I've only seen a few of them, but I would agree with that. As Mike MJB said above, We have a tourist area nearby with dozens of these and they do seem to suit the purpose.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42