What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The top five?  (Read 15228 times)

cmerks4

The top five?
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »
Searching for my first spa, so many things to learn. I have not be able to find out much about the brand Durasport. Sold at a local pool and spa store here in southeast Michigan and priced at $4699 for the G2 premium. This is very low compaired to the prices of Jacuzzi J335 or The Caldera Martinique. There must be much more to story, I will keep reading posts and educating myself on this site and others however it would be helpful to have a top five, maybe it's more or less, key considerations. Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

The top five?
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: The top five?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:01 pm »
 I looked at Durasport spa's website and the big difference is it's a roto mold spa vs acrylic. not to mention quite a few differences between the two.   That being said I don't think they are bad spa's but you have to compare it to something similar like Freeflow or South Pacific or Nordic spa's all roto mold type spa's.   What exactly are you looking for and what kind ofa price range do you want to be in? 

cmerks4

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:01:25 am »
Thanks Jacuzz Jim my main concerns are reliability, durability, repairability, performance, and bang for the buck.
 I'm not sure the number of jets alone equate to performance. I wouldn't mind spending more money if I was getting a spa that in the long run I would be happier with. From what I know so far I'm looking at around 5 to 7 K for a 4 to 5 person spa. I get the feeling that a spa connoisseur is very specific about what makes a great spa verses a good spa. I’m not sure the average Joe like me could tell the difference but I could be wrong!

manwgoldengun

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »
I looked at those "roto mold" spas briefly--due to price of course.  $4600 seems a bit high!  I was looking at some that were low $3k.  It seems to be a cheap way to make a spa.  I crossed it off my list.  Why should I spend almost $4000 on a cheap spa when I can get a quality spa from a major manufacturer for $1000 or $2000 more?  Jacuzzi, Sundance, Caldera, Dimension One.....they have entry level spas that blow away these roto molds.  I researched and found too many of these off brands and local manufacturers that come and go.  Not what I want when something goes wrong!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »
Thanks Jacuzz Jim my main concerns are reliability, durability, repairability, performance, and bang for the buck.
 I'm not sure the number of jets alone equate to performance. I wouldn't mind spending more money if I was getting a spa that in the long run I would be happier with. From what I know so far I'm looking at around 5 to 7 K for a 4 to 5 person spa. I get the feeling that a spa connoisseur is very specific about what makes a great spa verses a good spa. I’m not sure the average Joe like me could tell the difference but I could be wrong!

In that price range you should be able to find something that would work for you, Jacuzzi J-235 or J-245 Hot Spring Relay and Tempo I am sure Arctic and Marquis would have something equal as well..   Rotomold spa's have there niche easy to move decent equipment and components.   The problem I saw when we carried Freeflow where a few cracked shells which are not easily repaired, not a ton of power or therapy if thats what your looking for?  Leaks can be a pain as you can only get to the jets from the btm of the spa, most if any do not have sided that come off.      Overall they are not bad but if you can find a nice acrylic spa in your price range would be a better investment long term wise..

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

I agree with Jacuzzi Jim, your budget allows for something with much higher quality than some of the roto-mold offerings...like Jim said the Rhythm, Relay, Tempo are good options from Hot Spring, Jacuzzi has some J2xx and J3xx that would also work in that range as well.  Also check into Sundance and Caldera because Sundance is owned by Jacuzzi and Caldera is owned by Watkins who manufacturers Hot Springs so they will also have nice acrylic options in that range, some of which might looks very similar because they often "share" molds...good luck and let us know what you think after shopping/wet testing

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:39:53 pm »
Not to muddy the waters here, but Watkins is now selling a roto-molded line of spas - "Freeflow." Yes, I happen to be a "Freeflow" dealer... I haven't even gotten my tubs in yet, but I did sell Freeflow many years ago when they were just beginning to sell tubs.

They are very low priced.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 04:39:01 pm »
I looked at those "roto mold" spas briefly--due to price of course.  $4600 seems a bit high!  I was looking at some that were low $3k.  It seems to be a cheap way to make a spa.  I crossed it off my list. 

Yes, it is a less expensive way to make a spa but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it and it should be avoided. A spa like Freeflow isn't "cheap" from a quality standpoint, its not dressed up to be a premium spa and the roto molding process produces a one piece shell, frame and bottom which allows a spa like Freeflow to be a very nice entry level type spa. If you're looking for more power, features, etc. then absolutely, go with brands like Hot Spring or Caldera.

A lot of people are looking to get into a spa for around $4k or less and spas like Freeflow give them a good alternative. Watkins bought the Freeflow line so they would have offerings from the lower budget up to the premium models. BMW makes luxury cars but also has a Smart car. Toyota has Lexus on the top end and a Yaris for others. Its just good business to give the people what they want rather than try to convince them they should spend more than their budget allow or more than they simply want to spends.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:40:39 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 04:39:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42