What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2011 Caldera Tahitian Mechanical Problems: HELP!!  (Read 5889 times)

finklet2000

2011 Caldera Tahitian Mechanical Problems: HELP!!
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:16:59 am »
On 9/9/2011 I purchased a brand new Caldera Tahitian from a local company in my home town and registered the hot tub online on 9/11/2011. I used the company's recommended electrician and they installed the electric for the Hot Tub. The first few months were quite enjoyable with the Spa. However, for the third time in the past few months I went outside to find that the tub was half full of water and the power light was blinking and the temperature was not shown. Just lines were on the panel. The water was still hot. So I turned the power back on and turned the temperature up. The night before the hot tub worked fine. The power did not go out at our house. For some reason this keeps on happening. The company came out to our house the last time this happened and just took some outside panels off and looked for leaks on the outside of the tub and did not find any. I contacted them again and am waiting to hear from them. I was wondering if anyone could help me? If the power is going off, it suggests that there probably is an electrical problem. Any suggestions? Since we just bought the tub we should not have to pay for this, correct? I mean we have only had the tub a few months and it doesn't work properly. I think we have a lemon. I am really disappointed as I did a lot of research before I bought this hot tub and it was mostly positive. But my experience is just the opposite. Thanks, Bo

Hot Tub Forum

2011 Caldera Tahitian Mechanical Problems: HELP!!
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:16:59 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: 2011 Caldera Tahitian Mechanical Problems: HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:10:07 am »
Welcome to the forum, sorry its under bad circumstances.  Each time half the water is gone?  That can't be electrical.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:09 am »
Sorry to hear of your troubles Bo. If you bought the tub new, it should still be under warranty, so there should be no charges to you for repairs. But, some dealers charge a trip charge or service charge to come out. But, I tell your dealer that you arent paying for that, or if so, just the one time since you have had to have them come out now three times for the same thing. There has to be something leaking in there to cause it to drain half down, and when it does that, it most likely is causing some kind of error on the pack, which is causing the lines. I would call your dealer ASAP if you haven't already.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

clover

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:31:03 am »
On 9/9/2011 I purchased a brand new Caldera Tahitian....I went outside to find that the tub was half full of water and the power light was blinking and the temperature was not shown. Just lines were on the panel. The water was still hot. So I turned the power back on and turned the temperature up. The night before the hot tub worked fine....took some outside panels off and looked for leaks on the outside of the tub and did not find any. I contacted them again....If the power is going off, it suggests that there probably is an electrical problem. Any suggestions?

Since we just bought the tub we should not have to pay for this, correct? I mean we have only had the tub a few months and it doesn't work properly. I think we have a lemon.

I am really disappointed as I did a lot of research before I bought this hot tub and it was mostly positive. But my experience is just the opposite. Thanks, Bo
First let's take a deep breath and find out which issue of concern we should be discussing.  First, it is not a lemon, so you are going of the deep end right away.  You are loosing water, which I must assume you refilled PRIOR to turning the electric back on, oops, "light was blinking" so the power was still on, and you turned up the heat.  AND then, everything seemd to comeback to life "electrically", I guess.  Did you have to reset the breaker?  What are the electrical issues you are asking about?  Is your breaker tripping?

You have a very smart spa that will disable certain functions under certain conditions that will leave your control panel blank or with 4 - in the display.  What makes you think this is a problem with the "integrity" of the tub that makes it a lemon, when it could be something self-inflicted.

IT IS possible for YOU to cause a syphon draw from your tub causing the water to syphon out until it gets to the level of the "draw", like through the venturri's, the ozonator, etc.  Clue, Water level will stop at the Level of the leak.  IF water is coming out, look for it and find it.  It has to be wet on 1 of 4 sides, this won't cost you anything.  When your dealer gets there, it is possible the syphon action has stopped, and there are no clues from where the water came or went.

When water levels drop, they stop at the level of the leak and certain safety switches, like the flow switch, protect the system from burning out with out adequate water flow, shutting the system down.  This is not an electrical problem, but, a question, where did the water go, why and how?

If there is a problem with the spa itself, it will be leaking water out as fast as you put it in if something is broken.  However, once the syphon action stops, the leak stops, and the spa amazingly holds water without leaking again.

Your concerns of disappointment are understandable, but premature.  The conditions you have experienced were unexpected, but, both we and your dealer need your help to find out what is going on here.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

tjr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:13:52 pm »
I would first check to make sure the filter is cleaned. Power light flashing is usually a sign of restricted flow at the circ pump/heater. If the spa has an ozone system, the check valve could be defective causing the water to siphon out of the spa. When power is restored the leak will disappear. Have some one replace ozone check valve and check to see if circulation pump and filter are working properly.
Tom

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:22:52 pm »
losing that much water should definitely leave a traceable trail.  i don't have a ton of experience with caldera.  where would the water be escaping in a syphon situation?  there are no venturis that aren't sealed by a hose i'm pretty sure.  if its an air check valve thats failed that would be a warranty issue.  ozone check valve would be a possible but i would hope their tech checked the motor compartment for water.  check your drain cap (remedial but you have to always say it).  if you can't get satisfaction from the dealer don't be afraid to call watkins.  if it happens again don't refill it before getting them out there.

Bo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
Thank you to everyone that replied to this post. I contacted my dealer this morning and they came out and took the tub back to their repair center. I will let you know what they found. Bo

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:51 am »
Thank you to everyone that replied to this post. I contacted my dealer this morning and they came out and took the tub back to their repair center. I will let you know what they found. Bo

That'll get it done. It'll probably be somethig simple actually but this way they can fix it, fill it and run it for a day to confrim its fixed.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42