What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: should he take a free Master Spa?  (Read 6904 times)

rick_in_cleveland

should he take a free Master Spa?
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »
  I wanted to ask this Master Spa question.  A friend can get a free used Master Spa Legend LS700.  The only problem is the jets won't shut off.  A tech came out to check it over and says everything works fine, heater etc and the problem is that it needs a new control board.  My friend was going to move it himself, put in a base and run 220.   Comments?  should he take it?  Also for you dealers.  If you were contacted and was going to get the work on the control board would you give a deal on moving it?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

should he take a free Master Spa?
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: should he take a free Master Spa?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:00:07 am »
I charge according to what it costs me - so if there is some way that doing the two jobs can save me money, then (and only then) do I pass the savings along to the customer.

As to 'should he take a free..." it sounds far from free. Add up all the costs and then compare to buying a new spa. Keep in mind that if the cover is old you will cost yourself energy - and may have trouble keeping the tub clean and hot.  However, if you buy a new spa, you get a new cover, a warranty, a new control board (duh :-) and the delivery is generally included at no extra cost. The electrical and ground prep would most likely be the same, although that is one area I will give things away: if it helps me to sell a tub I will do electrical and slab work near my cost which is lower than most contractors could do it.

So - if they can put a new cover on it, move it and then repair it for a reasonable cost, they will have 'gotten into hot water' for less than the price of a new spa. But if you add up all the costs, and then if the thing turns out to be an energy hog or for some other reason is more costly to own than a new tub, they may not enjoy it long term. Some people - at that point - would still have considered it a good investment because all the electrical work and ground prep is there for a new tub, and they may get some trade-in because the old tub is now working.

Just some thoughts - HTH
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:36 am »
I agree with Chas...Look at the cost of parts because the LS700 in a cold area is an energy hog.

I would also look for leaks...I've found several of these spas with cracked manifolds and thats an expensive repair.

The things that fail most often on those are the Ozone injector, the pump plugs, the boards and often sticky buttons on the topside.

VTXMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:40 pm »
I agree with Chas...Look at the cost of parts because the LS700 in a cold area is an energy hog.

I would also look for leaks...I've found several of these spas with cracked manifolds and thats an expensive repair.

The things that fail most often on those are the Ozone injector, the pump plugs, the boards and often sticky buttons on the topside.

You sound well informed, you must ride a BMW scooter.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:43 pm »
Well yes I do...and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42