What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 60 amp Sundance option  (Read 12465 times)

tubsoakin

60 amp Sundance option
« on: December 15, 2007, 03:24:14 pm »
Hi all,
I'm looking for information as to what it takes to switch an 07 Sundance Optima to the 60 amp setting so my heater will run even if both pumps are running.  Do I need to contact my dealer or is it something I could do on my own.  I know it wouldn't be a problem to change my house power, but am not sure about what to do to the tub to switch it over.

Thanks in advance for any info
Chris

Hot Tub Forum

60 amp Sundance option
« on: December 15, 2007, 03:24:14 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: 60 amp Sundance option
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 03:26:59 pm »
If you have the info on where to move the jumpers you can do it.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:37:12 pm »
Make sure that the wiring can handle 60 amps. Size of the wire and distance matters when it comes to current capacity.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 03:56:33 pm »
 Open up the front panel, then open up the control box, with power off!  Locate the row of jumpers should be left of center.   The top row from top to btm are marked JP20  below that you should see a second row of jumpers thats marked JP9, they will be marked like this.

That actually means this reading left to right  jumper 1&2
                                                  jumper 3&4
                                                 jumper 5&6
                                                 jumper 7&8     and so on.

Jumper 7 and 8 need to be jumped for the 60 amp configuration.

There usually is a spare jumper, and it will be in there vertically in stead of horizontal, like the others.
You can use that for jumping 7 and 8.

Thats it!  Seems simple right   ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:59:46 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:21:40 pm »
Make sure that the wiring can handle 60 amps. Size of the wire and distance matters when it comes to current capacity.

Also make sure your electric service can provide the 60amps.  Some homes need to have a new breaker box installed to handle the 60 amps.  Your current sub-panel is probably not a 60 amp panel.

While it's easy to make the switch on your spa, it might not be so easy to provide that power to your spa.  

Just check before you go out an do anything.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 12:27:56 pm »
Chances are that if your spa is currently running in the 50 amp configuration, and your installation is to code, you can safely switch to the 60 amp mode.

If you have 100+ amp service at your main panel, you should be okay.  If you have an older service, say 60 amps, then you probably would have had to have your service upgraded for the spa anyway.  So I would think that you don't have to worry about a service upgrade.

If your spa wiring is 6 gauge copper, which it should be if you are at 50 amps, you can use that wire for up to a 60 amp breaker no problem.  Unless your wiring is unusually long- like in excess of 100'.

You might need to swap out your GFI spa  breaker to one rated for 60 amps.  If you stay with the 50 (assuming that's what  you have) you might have problems tripping if you run the heater and both pumps at the same time.  On the other hand, you may not- I've never tried it.
That assumes your sub panel is rated for 60 amps.  I suspect it is, but you should double check.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:29:16 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:02:29 am »
Would this be the same process for an 06 Sundance Maxxus?  I have plenty of power to handle it and would love to be able to run the heater with all 3 pumps.

Thanks,
Jr

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 07:32:52 am »
It could be.  Get out your owners manual and look at the different amperage options.  If it allows for a 60 amp setup, then you should be able to have the jumper moved (or do it yourself if you know the routine) if you're not set up for the 60.
 Not at all sure if it's the same board and the same jumpers as the Optima, etc.....
Brewman

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 03:27:28 pm »
I have a 2005 Sundance (Sweetwater) Bahia.  We were told by the dealer that we had an option of 50/60 amp service as well and only needed jumper changes along with specific wiring etc.  We opted for the 60 amp service, installed the correct breakers, wire etc.  To this day we cannot get the jumpers arranged, in any configuration, that allows operation of the heater and pumps full out simultaneously.  

So...not sure what the deal is on this, but reading your post reminded me.  We have long since given up on the option.  

ps...still love our tub!  

Dave
Better than I deserve...

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:56:20 pm »
Just checked my manual and according to it, even with 60amp service the heater will not operate with all 3 pump motors running.  The service man is coming next week to replace my ozonator so maybe I will check with him.

Thanks,
Gary

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 08:46:30 am »
That may very well be the case with the Maxxus- I forgot that monster had an extra pump that the others don't have.  But I suspect that running all three pumps at once will greatly reduce the need for the heater anyway, unless you're soaking in very cold temperatures.  

Wiring for 60 vs 50 amps. is the same, it's only the breaker that's different, assuming the sub panel is rated hight enough.
Brewman

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 01:14:29 pm »
 The Maxxus will already be set up on the 60 amp config!!  The Jacuzzi J-385 had the same pumps as the Sundance and it was preset to 60 amps exact same circut board.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 05:44:37 pm »
I have a 2005 Sundance (Sweetwater) Bahia.  We were told by the dealer that we had an option of 50/60 amp service as well and only needed jumper changes along with specific wiring etc.  We opted for the 60 amp service, installed the correct breakers, wire etc.  To this day we cannot get the jumpers arranged, in any configuration, that allows operation of the heater and pumps full out simultaneously.  

So...not sure what the deal is on this, but reading your post reminded me.  We have long since given up on the option.

Here's the board from my Optima set up for 60 amps.  The arrow is pointing to the jumper that needs to, uh, jumped...

Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 06:08:39 pm »

Here's the board from my Optima set up for 60 amps.  The arrow is pointing to the jumper that needs to, uh, jumped...

Nice thought!  But, the Bahia does not have that circuit board in it.  

According to my tech manual, he needs to find JP1 and jump jumpers 6&5

JP1
8&7
6&5
4&3
2&1

8 and 7 not used
4&3 jumper on for 2 pump off for 1 pump
2&1 jumped if using 30 amp off for 50 amp

I am pretty sure 6&5 need jumped for 60 Amp
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:19:26 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
Honestly though...we thought it was a big deal at the start and were relatively disappointed with the inability to run all at once.  But in reality, after nearing 2 years of use, it's not anywhere near the issue we thought it'd be.  

And keeping in mind we're in NE Ohio and deal with cold all winter, last Feb was coldest on record, and had no issues.  

Merry Christmas all.

Dave
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42