Original > Hot Tub Forum

How to lower Alk?

(1/3) > >>

MostlyLurkingGal:
Ah yes, it's me AGAIN. I haven't had chemical problems all sumer because IT'S BEEN TO *&$% HOT AND HUMID TO USE THE HOTTUB!!!  >:(
Ok..I have vented...feel better now. Anyway, I wanted to use the tub yesterday, but the ph and alk were low, so I added some baking soda. (There was no soda ash in this town to be found). I got my ph up to 7.7, but, ummmm my alk went to around 250...oops?  I don't seem to have any spa down in my arsenal of chemicals, so I will have to buy some online. Any suggestions for lowering alk sooner? I see I have room to add fresh water...might that help? I kinda hate to totally change my water right now.....but will if I need to. I want to soak, but afraid of the high alk...I don't want to get a rash or anything.. :o
Thanks,  MLG

Chad:
Jo,

250 ppm is awful high so if you have sensitive skin, which I think you do, you're doing the right thing and waiting until you get it down. Sodium bisulfate is what's used to lower alkalinity. It will however lower the pH as well, so once you get alk in range you may need to adjust pH with soda ash to compensate. Remember to add small doses at a time over an extended period as opposed to one huge dose. Do you have any sodium bisulfate and have you had any luck finding soda ash yet?

Chad

Vinny:
I have used clear vinegar to lower the alk and PH.

Do you know what the original PH & alk rading were? It seems that the PH is awefully low for an alk reading like that. Baking soda has a PH of 8.4. I use baking soda all the time but it has never gotten the alk that high

In the pool I use borax to raise the PH without rasing the alk and have used it in a pinch in the spa, I wouldn't make it a habit - Walmart sells pool stuff.

MostlyLurkingGal:
Thanks you 2. I think my readings were ph7.0 and alk80.  I just wanted to raise the ph...but could not find any soda ash in town. I had no idea the baking soda would increase my alk so much. It's now back to being hot and sticky, so I don't wanna go tubbing anymore anyway.  :(
The alk might not really be that high now that I think about it....I used the AquaChek meter. I need to sell that thing....I don't like it!
I will let the tub sit for a few days and recheck it again. My window of tubbing opportunity has passed anyway.
Chad...Is there a common name for sodium bisulfate or is that a spa store item?
I know Arm & Hammer washing soda is soda ash...right?
Thanks,  Jo

Chad:
It's packaged as spa down or ph down typically.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version